Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best TCP/IP Stack for STM32F2

dimax
Senior
Posted on April 03, 2013 at 21:46

HI,

I'm going to extend my project with TCP/IP stack. What do you think is a best choice for TCP/IP stack. Currently I'm hesitating between lwIP and uIP. 

I'm developing under yagarto. Currently my code runs FreeRTOS with LCD and USB modules.

Also is where any minimalistic example of Ethernet HW module and TCP/IP usage with STM32F2 (STM32F207 in my case).

#no-such-thing-as-'best'
4 REPLIES 4
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on April 04, 2013 at 01:06

''What do you think is a best choice for TCP/IP stack''

That depends entirely on what

you

want from it!!

Do you want high performance?

Do you want minimal resource usage?

Do you want it for free?

Do you want support and documentation?

Clearly, many of these requirements are in conflict. If there were just one stack which was ''best'' for any and all situations, why would any others exist?

''Currently I'm hesitating between lwIP and uIP''

What makes you hesitate?

uIP was specifically designed to be very light for very tightly-constrained targets - that obviously means that it has very limited features, and limited performance.

LwIP is for somewhat less constrained targets - so it's a bit larger & more complicated, but has more features and performance.

Only you can decide which is more appropriate to your specific requirements and constraints in your  particular project

dimax
Senior
Posted on April 04, 2013 at 06:17

Thanks.

You really asked a right questions.

Currently I can be satisfied with plain TCP/IP sockets support in both directions. I mean device (connect) and server (listen) options.

Our device is assumed to be connected to LAN and has to be able to get ot accept connection(s) from internet.

Can you tell me in a brief what specific limitations the uIP has compared to lwIP?

Should I expect any connectivity limitations?

I'm do not care too much about API limitations. Once I get socket I get all the upper protocols.

dimax
Senior
Posted on April 05, 2013 at 07:36

Official FreeRTOS demo with Ethernet support is based on uIP stack.

Had anybody used this stack? Any problems with it? Any limitations?

Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on April 05, 2013 at 08:22

''Can you tell me in a brief what specific limitations the uIP has compared to lwIP?''

Have you spent any time studying & comparing the uIP and LwIP documentation yourself?

''Had anybody used this stack?''

A quick google will find plenty of examples of projects which have used these stacks!