cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32W108 Zigbee Pro stack

tomtom9195
Associate II
Posted on October 16, 2012 at 13:13

It appears that the EmberZNet Zigbee Pro stack for the STM32W108 has been withdrawn. The product brief for the STM32W-RFCKIT lists it as supported, but the revision history of the user guide explicitly states that it has been removed. Also the stacks are no longer available for download.

Is this for support/reliability issues or for commercial reasons? If the latter, does this mean that the previously released EmberZNet stack can no longer be used in a commercial product based on the STM32W108 (without paying for a license fee at least)? Having spent some time searching the ST web site and only finding the above reference to its withdrawal, I'm very surprised that such an important change has apparently been made so 'quietly'.

Are there any alternative Zigbee Pro stacks for the STM32W108? If so are they supported by ST and are any of them free?

Thanks, Tony

#stm32w108-zigbee-pro-emberznet
5 REPLIES 5
tomtom9195
Associate II
Posted on November 01, 2012 at 16:42

I'm disappointed that no one was able to respond to this; I've done some more searching and it seems that Silicon Labs bought out Ember who wrote/own the EmberZNet Zigbee pro stack that ST micro were offering with the STM32W108. Presumably they hadn't secured the rights to continue to distribute it and Silabs have exclusive access.

This must have been a huge embarrassment to ST micro, hence the deafening silence in response to my question. I'd hope that ST are working on a replacement stack as the ST device looks to be a better option to the more expensive and slower Silabs alternative but the lack of any response doesn't give me much confidence.

Perhaps one of the Open Source Zigbee developments will support the STM32W108 in the not too distant future?

Thanks, Tony

Posted on November 01, 2012 at 17:18

This is mainly a user forum. If you need a conversation with ST you'll need to take it directly to individuals within the organization, or your FAE contacts. Radio's are generally a very sensitive area as it's very easy to abuse them and drive them outside FCC licensed areas.

Perhaps one of the Open Source Zigbee developments will support the STM32W108 in the not too distant future?

You could perhaps work on porting, or funding a project. Open/Free software development usually occurs as a result of personal drivers. So you either have to be sufficiently motivated yourself, or motivate someone else.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
tomtom9195
Associate II
Posted on November 01, 2012 at 23:40

Clive,

Thanks for your reply.

This is mainly a user forum.

Ah ok, fair enough. I assumed that ST micro engineers would participate in these forums. Its a bit disappointing that they don't (mainly) - TI staff seem to be very active on their forums and it makes a big difference to the support as they have access to all the relevant resources. There does seem to be a lot of expertise on these forums though, such as yourself who are prepared to share it with others which is encouraging.

If you need a conversation with ST you'll need to take it directly to individuals within the organization, or your FAE contacts.

Yes I've already done so. Will report here any useful responses.

Radio's are generally a very sensitive area as it's very easy to abuse them and drive them outside FCC licensed areas.

Very true, but I'm not sure what your getting at - are you suggesting that this isn't an appropriate place to discuss what protocol stacks are available for ST radio devices?

You could perhaps work on porting, or funding a project.

Yes, but I don't have the time or inclination. I was only trying to find out if anyone knows of any Open Source Zigbee projects supporting or planned to support the STM32W108 devices. Anyhow ST micro will know so I'll await their reply.

Regards, Tony 
tomtom9195
Associate II
Posted on November 07, 2012 at 17:35

ST have got back to me and confirmed that there is no longer a Xigbee Pro stack for this device and if its required then I need to use another manufacturer's product, which is a shame as this device, on paper at least, looks to be one of the better ones.

Am still very unimpressed at ST's lack of transparency on their website given that some of their documentation still claims it is supported. I wouldn't have wasted a lot of time investigating this device if they'd been open about it.

Tony
Posted on November 07, 2012 at 19:03

Very true, but I'm not sure what your getting at - are you suggesting that this isn't an appropriate place to discuss what protocol stacks are available for ST radio devices?

That register level documentation is not generally available or open. NDA's would likely preclude discussion of implementation details, and limit the availability of open source/solutions. There are quite probably closed source commercial solutions, but like many things in this industry have cost/license considerations. I think ST has migrated to different radios.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..