cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any commercial boot loader for STM32F103?

huiyan
Associate
Posted on April 29, 2013 at 17:16

We need a boot loader for customers to update the firmware. The product can't provide the BOOT0 pin, so the ST build-in boot loader can't be used. I am wondering if any commercial boot loader by using UART is available. If we develop our own, is the Y modem protocol is a good choice? If using Y modem shown in AN2557, we can just implement PC side software,   Hyperterminal is not userface friendly.

We are in tight time schedule. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

#bootloader
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on April 29, 2013 at 17:33

Does Google or Bing pull any commercial offerings?

I think generally the needs are so specific people who write firmware tend to tailor their own based on their hardware and delivery models.

Y-Modem is probably not a route I would go, at least not the one in the App note. X-Modem 1K or CRC would suffice, with positive acknowledgement of each block, and some validation of the downloaded image.

HyperTerminal is a terminal app, in the real world you write you own updating application that implements X/Y-Modem transparently to the user. This would of course suppose you have Win32/64 app writing skills on staff, or through contractors/consultants.

Perhaps you could try the list of contractors/consultants ST maintains.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
trevor23
Associate III
Posted on April 30, 2013 at 10:19

I've developed several custom bootloaders for STM32. All support firmware update via UART and via GPRS/Ethernet modem in a robust way i.e. the processor can't get into a state where it is left with no application to run even if power is removed during flashing. There isn't anything that wrong with Y-modem, other methods exist also. I advise you use a method that has flow control built into the protocol so that processor stalls during flash writes do not matter (e.g. Y-modem) or else run from RAM when flashing. Would be happy to discuss and quote this for you if you want to take the risk away and get someone that's been here before to do it.

Regards

Trevor