asrock70
Associate II
Posted on January 17, 2017 at 09:38

I find

http://www.bdtic.com/DownLoad/ST/AN4023.pdf

STM32 secure firmware upgrade (SFU) overview , AN is 

unfortunately from 2012 and ending

sentence

'For more details about the complete solution, please contact your local ST salesrepresentative.'

I seeking a

safe solution

for distribution new firmware, in other words boot loader with fw decryption.

Exist such bootloader directly from ST or you know about free publised project this bootloader for STM32F1, F3?

5 REPLIES 5
Posted on January 17, 2017 at 15:45

Thanks for link, unfurtunately it is version for STM32F2 and only in binary version without source code .

For STM32F1 or F3

not usable .

Lucas C
Associate II
Posted on June 16, 2017 at 21:43

Hi Charles,

I'm also currently looking into secure bootloader for other STM32 devices, namely STM32F0...

I'd like to know whether you have found any other references or libraries for implementing the secure bootloader.

Thank in advanced.

Cheers!

Posted on June 17, 2017 at 01:38

The problem with libraries is that it doesn't make you smarter than a below average hacker...

Do you have the ability to code the client side application?

Do you have familiarity with common encryption and compression algorithms and libraries?

Have you built a basic, but insecure, loader yet?

The critical job is to leave no holes, the plain text firmware should not be visible outside of the part, the keys should not be exposed. The encrypted image should have multiple levels of integrity checking, and the device should check the complete image before doing anything with it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 17, 2017 at 23:27

Hi Clive,

Thank you for your suggestion and elaboration. I appreciate the advice on how to go about implementing a secure bootloader from the scratch myself, and that is probably what I will do.

I do have the necessary knowledge to do it, however, what plays a big role into this is time. I have to say that I think using libraries does not make you any 'less smart' than a below average hacker or programmer. What matters is if you understand what the library is doing and if you have control over it. Having a library helps you to save time and avoid mistakes that you could potentially make.

Anyway, if you have resources that you have used for this purpose, please share it as this may save time and help me and others to build better code.

Cheers!