Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 USB/SERIAL COMMUNICATION

sreejithu4u
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 14:34

hello everyone,

i`m working on an academic project.i`m trying to read sensor values and needs to send the readings after calculation to PC via USB or Serial port

Does initializing and sending data to USART1 require additional chips like MAX 232 or is it possible directly?

also what kind of USB Communication modes are feasible in my context and how can i do that? anyone got suggestions or examples?

#amazing-google-skills
5 REPLIES 5
crt2
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 14:58

You can use USART with any RS232 to USB converter (so some USB to Serial cable, where you correctly connect at least RX and/or TX and GND).

Posted on November 28, 2012 at 15:59

The STM32F4 signals serial using CMOS levels, you can get USB-to-CMOS Serial adapters (DLP-RXTX ?) which can connect directly without RS232 level converters. If you use an RS232 serial port you will need a MAX232 or equivalent level converter.

There are many examples in the various firmware libraries, and there is a USB library which you should familiarize yourself with.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
sreejithu4u
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 16:47

i got USART working along with arduino. i dont actually have any RS232 converters

i`ve been working to get some idea with USB but cant find any examples

can you please give links so that i could learn from it?

Posted on November 28, 2012 at 17:04

Go search the Chip, and then under the ''Design Resources'' tab.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/USER_MANUAL/CD00289278.pdf

http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/FIRMWARE/stm32_f105-07_f2_f4_usb-host-device_lib.zip

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
sreejithu4u
Associate II
Posted on November 29, 2012 at 14:44

Thanks! appreciate it 🙂