Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making bin file for IAP application Const varible issue

Barbie
Associate II
Posted on April 06, 2013 at 14:47

Hello.

I mange to creat IAP BootLoader which place over sector 0-1.

I make a room for constant varibles place at factory and change from time to time. There values should be read at power up so I place them over sector 2-3.

My application place start on sector 4 (0x08010000).

But when I creat the bin file of the App for the boot to start on 0x08010000) I see that before the main application I get a lot of zero. My assumption is that the linker see that I make a room for const varible on sector 2-3 and even if I didn't place values on it it make all zero. So my bin file doesn't start on 0x08010000, but much erlear. THis make me a probem because I can't know how much zero are before so place exactly the App start on 0x08010000, and if I ass some const the offset will move.

On the other hand I must have them on the FLASH and be recognize by the App (to read them), but in possition not occupied by the APP so it won't change every new download.

Is there a sign to give the linker or the bin file creation to egnore them and not give them place on the bin file, but just know there location?

#bin-file-with-const-for-iap-appl
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on April 06, 2013 at 15:10

If the .HEX file doesn't contain all these leading zeros then you'll need to examine the parameters being passed to the HEX-to-BIN, or ELF-to-BIN tools.

The Linker's ICF file should control the placement of the data in the HEX file, so if that's valid the problem is with the conversion.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Barbie
Associate II
Posted on April 06, 2013 at 16:23

I do the bin file immidiatly from the IAR IDE envierment. I didn't say that it make invalid placement. Just I don't want this placment at all.

Regards

Bar.

Posted on April 06, 2013 at 17:09

You want the data in the .BIN to start at 0x08010000, you don't want it to start with zero fill, which presumably has some non-random size you fail to specify here. You should perhaps check IAR support resources for an app note, or manuals describing the procedures and available settings.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..