cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link no longer recognises STM32f4 discovery..

sts0340
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 13:51

Hi all and thanks for your help so far..

I have been fooling around with trying to get Maple to work with my STM32F4 discovery board and have got into a tangle..

I successfully uploaded the Maple bootloader .bin to the board and got the Maple lib working on the board via a VCP in fs mode.

But now, I want to revert back to being able to use the ST-link utility and ST-Link utility doesn't recognize the device..?.. When I run the utility I get this message:

12:51:29 : [maple_boot.bin] opened successfully.

12:51:39 : No STLink detected

But the board won't connect..

I can however use DFuse and have successfully loaded up the original DEMO firmware .dfu file back onto the board.

Would anyone be able to help me get back to using ST-link??

Thanks again, again.

Steve.

#st-link #stm32f4
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 16:26

Sounds like either a chip/power failure for the STM32F1 implementing the ST-LINK function, or that the driver for the ST-LINK isn't loaded on your PC, ie missing or not permitting unsigned drivers?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
linas2
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 19:43

Does RED LED is blinking, or solid ? (not power, but double color led)

Sometimes in windows machine i kill usb driver because of high current , so i just uninstall/reinstall usb, and that fix my problem.

sts0340
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 19:51

Hi CLive and thanks for noting my plight. You are the Main Man.

Right. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ST-Link driver. All works OK and I see the device in the device list under the USB devices list.

I CAN burn .DFU files to the board using DFUSE and I've tried the STM32 F4 discovery demonstration and Audio playback/Record files and they work perfectly.

But ST-Link Utility only sees the maple_boot.bin file and doesn't alloow me to connect.?.

What I did to get into this state was burn the maple bootloader file onto the board USING the ST-link utility.

Then, according to the instructions for the Maple library I wanted to install I opened the ''ZADIG'' program and put the board into DFU mode by connecting the BOOT0 pin to VDD. The board showed up as an STM DFU device in zadig and I clicked on the   ''Install Driver'' icon. 

I then flashed the libmaple to the board through the Micro USB port and it flashed something because when I exited bootloader mode and pressed RESET the 4 lights were flashing quickly. Also a ''found new device'' came up for a VCP_ in FS mode. I installed this driver and the board showed up as a  com port (port 13). So I then ran hyperterminal at 115200 baud and got a HELLO WORLD message scrolling down the Hyperterminal screen. 

All well and good BUT now no ST-Link connection ( even though it shows up as a device ).

Have I erased something important?

I don't know if I've damaged the power..all peripherals seem to work.

Is there a dfu file that will put the board back to its original setting?

Or have I F''''''ed up a driver setting??

If you can help me with this Clive I'll send you some chocolate. :0)

linas2
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 20:07

also, i found that if i can't program my mcu(stlink don't find any mcu), if i touch PA14 and PA13 it start to see my stm32f4, maybe that would be useful for you...

sts0340
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2012 at 20:51

I tried your suggestion Kilo ( or is it Mega? .. ..lol I have contacted Megahercas before. Are you his brother?)

Nothing happens. I have put up a message on Leaflabs froum too about the problem but no reply as yet. I can still use the DFuse program to burn DFU files and have just worked out how to convert .bin files to .dfu files so I can do that... but still I want ST-Link back... 

sts0340
Associate II
Posted on November 29, 2012 at 13:35

Solved by a Hunch! Last night I was mulling it all over and realised that because Windows still recognises that an ST board has been plugged in, it must be a driver issue. When I ran Zadig it prompted me to install a windows driver that would ''see'' the board. This must have mangled up the ST driver in some way ( don't ask how, I'm not that advanced..) 

So in comes System Restore!

I have used system restore on my laptop before when my ip address got mangled and by going back to the day before it happened, my ip address was restored.

Same for the STM32f4 discovery then ?

Yip. I did a system restore back to the day before I tried the MapleBoot and am now able to use the ST-Link as before.

So time travel works. :0)

Thanks for the advice everyone. :

Steve.