Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

store image file from camera on uSD card

dkilshtein9
Associate II
Posted on November 25, 2012 at 08:52

Hello,

I work on the STM3240G-Eval and IAR IDE for the first time and I feel a bit lost.

I need to be able to capture an image from the camera and store it on a uSD card as a file (preferable JPEG). I would like the project to be as simple as possible (no OS).

I will be grateful if someone, who has done something like that before can send me a sample project

as a reference

to start with.   

#stm32-camera-sd
5 REPLIES 5
Posted on November 25, 2012 at 15:21

Sounds like a homework question.

Why don't you start with some SD card and FatFs examples for the board?

I could swear the demo builder project has JPEG libraries, and camera examples.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/FIRMWARE/stm32f2-f4_demobuild.zip

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on November 25, 2012 at 15:45

''I work on the STM3240G-Eval and IAR IDE for the first time''

Do you have any prior development experience at all? In particular, do you have any prior embedded microcontroller  experience?

''I would like the project to be as simple as possible''

This is not exactly a simple project!

Perhaps you should consider starting with something simpler...? 

Suggestions:

/52d187f5

''store it on a uSD card as a file (preferable JPEG)''

As far as the SD Card & file system are concerned, it's just a file - the content is immaterial.

So, for that part, you could start by examining the example projects which illustrate files & SD card...

dkilshtein9
Associate II
Posted on November 26, 2012 at 07:37

I have more then twelve years of experience with embedded programming. I never used file system, OS and IAR before.

The problem is that I must supply a ''proof of concept'' in a few days (by the end of the week). And it is very difficult for me to go over the huge demo project in such a short time (I have other projects I'm involved in).

If the demo project was smaller or maybe divided into smaller projects, it would be much easier for me to start with.

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on November 26, 2012 at 08:39

The problem is that I must supply a ''proof of concept'' in a few days (by the end of the week).

So it's going to be a hard week for you...

Basically, everything you mentioned does exist already, but not necessarily in one single application. So it's not sure what you actually need to prove. Your timing requirements are important here, and so are the frame size. If you need to move pictures that exceed the available RAM buffer size, and come close to the maximal writing speed of a SD card, it's going to be a tough ride.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on November 27, 2012 at 08:28

''I have more then twelve years of experience with embedded programming. I never used file system, OS and IAR before.''

With 12 years experience, you should at least have been able to scope the project

''The problem is that I must supply a 'proof of concept' in a few days (by the end of the week)''

Such is life in embedded develeopment!

''(I have other projects I'm involved in)''

Such is life in embedded develeopment!

''If the demo project was smaller or maybe divided into smaller projects...''

As an embedded developer, it's your job to analyse the problem and partition it into manageable sub-systems.

As already noted, the separate elements do already exist...