Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F3 Discovery next steps?

don23
Associate II
Posted on December 13, 2012 at 04:35

Hi,

I successfully setup IAR 6.5 and got the F3 Discovery Bd. demo working along with modifying the code to change the LED timing. I read through UM5170 User Manual. I'm looking for more examples to learn about the peripherals. So, I downloaded the AN4157 firmware examples. This includes brief descriptions of each peripheral but not the tutorials to work them.

I also found examples with, ''This example has been tested with STMicroelectronics STM32303C-EVAL (STM32F30x)  evaluation board and can be easily tailored to any other supported device and development board.'' However, it doesn't explain How to do this.

Since I'm new to ARM and 32F3, I would appreciate what next steps to learn this platform.

Thanks!

#stm32f3-iar #adc #discovery-board #:-discovery-board-stm32f3
53 REPLIES 53
raptorhal2
Lead
Posted on December 13, 2012 at 14:43

However, it doesn't explain How to do this.

Probably because their are an infinite number of other board and device combinations. You will have to read the literature for whatever board and device contemplated and determine how to tailor. Some common differences to recognize:

HSE frequency. Check the startup files and ensure HSE and clock scaling factors are correct. If not correct, USART frequencies will be mysteriously wrong.

ADC configuration. The F3 has 4 ADCs with 39 external channels. Other F series devices have fewer of both.

Discovery and development boards have some pins dedicated to on board connections, and all different from one part number to another.

This is not a complete list. Come back to this forum for anything that really puzzles you.

Cheers, Hal

don23
Associate II
Posted on December 13, 2012 at 19:52

Thanks for your reply. I think you are steps ahead of me. If I open the firmware examples and say want to test out the ADC or GPIO examples, how do I setup that? Does it require a serial port monitor? What pins do I apply the analog signal to?

My learning experience would be enabled by tutorials of that nature.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on December 13, 2012 at 20:19

Actually, tutorials are not a strength of ST.

You can find third-party tutorials to other STM32 controllers. The F3 is relatively new, so chances are slim.

Beside this, I suggest to fetch the datasheet and the reference manual. The latter document describes the whole family (STM32F3xx) including the peripheral units. The datasheet has the pinouts, packages and electrical data. They can be found at the 'Resources' tab under

http://www.st.com/internet/mcu/subclass/1605.jsp

together with application notes and other helpful tools.

For information about ARM cortex controllers in general, I can recommend

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp

raptorhal2
Lead
Posted on December 13, 2012 at 20:39

Adding to fm's excellent advice:

Your IAR development environment includes a template project. Modify main.c and if applicable the interrupt handler c file to include the example code.

A serial port monitor is not required, even though a few hardy souls debug that way. Your IAR development environment includes an excellent debugger.

The Discovery User Manual will have a table of pin assignments and a full schematic. Examine that to see which ADC pins are not dedicated to board functions and therefore available for your use.

Cheers, Hal

Posted on December 13, 2012 at 21:26

One might also refer to the README.TXT is the assorted projects

STM32F3-Discovery_FW_V1.0.0\Project\Peripheral_Examples\ADC_Example eadme.txt

@par Hardware and Software environment
- This example runs on STM32F30x Devices.
- This example has been tested with STMicroelectronics STM32F3-Discovery (MB1035)
and can be easily tailored to any other supported device and development board.
- STM32F3-Discovery Set-up
- Connect the external signal(ranges from 0 to 3.3V) to the ADC1 pin (PC.01) to be converted.

While the STM32F3-Discovery board does not afford the features and connectors of the EVAL series, a serial (CMOS level) connection is provided at JP4 to allow for the attachment of a USB-to-CMOS Serial type adapters/chips from the likes of FTDI, Prolific or SiLabs.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
don23
Associate II
Posted on December 13, 2012 at 22:30

Thanks for all the great suggestions. My goal is to build wireless sensors, so I'm aiming my self-education in that direction. I have been working in the 8-bit world but need much more MCU power for my project. So, I need to learn ARM.  I'm starting with just the MCU & peripherals, first, then learn the ST wireless stack. 

Also, the ST ARM silicon is the same price as the 8-bit MCUs I've been working with. More Bang, Same Buck!

Additional suggestions are welcome.

Best Regards! 

don23
Associate II
Posted on December 14, 2012 at 04:38

I found another source of useful info: MicroXplorer. It's better than using the datasheet for the STM 32F303 to locate the pinouts.

karri
Associate
Posted on December 14, 2012 at 12:27

Hi Clive,

Which features are missing from the Discovery boards? I'm new to ST boards and have now spent quite a while trying to get debug printing through the ITM channel 0 to work with the STM32F3 Discovery using either EWARM or Keil - with absolutely no success.

Posted on December 14, 2012 at 15:53

Which features are missing from the Discovery boards?

Observe the features outside the blue circle that your extra 200 Dollars/Pounds gets you

0690X00000603G6QAI.jpg

I'm new to ST boards and have now spent quite a while trying to get debug printing through the ITM channel 0 to work with the STM32F3 Discovery using either EWARM or Keil - with absolutely no success.

Yeah, ITM's SWV can be a pig, I've had it working on a couple of boards/pods, not sure ST-LINK is on that list. For the Discovery boards I usually wire a header so I can plug in a serial port adapter.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..