Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32 + gcc compiler

mailmail9116
Associate II
Posted on December 09, 2012 at 15:22

Hi All,

I have the stm3240g-eval board,currently i am working with keil uvision as my IDE + armcc,but i am willing to switch to gcc .

My question is ,does anyone have a explantion on how to configure the Eclipse to work with stm32 ? also i thinking using codesourcery or yagarto toolchain .

i have the demonstration library that i download from here ,do the peripherals drivers that are inclueded there will work also under gcc?  also the startup file whitch one should i use ? as i understant the ''truestudio'' one will be ok?

Sorry for the questions , i am a newbie in this area 🙂

#skinflints #gcc-for-cortex-mx
12 REPLIES 12
Posted on December 09, 2012 at 17:22

Personally I've use Yagarto, the RiDE startup, and a cleaned up linker script.

Posted a couple of examples for the STM32F4-Discovery. Library builds fine.

Recall running across a couple of Eclipse tutorials doing STM32 on the net.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on December 10, 2012 at 12:07

Cross-post:

http://www.keil.com/forum/21949/

''currently i am working with keil uvision as my IDE + armcc, but i am willing to switch to gcc''

Why switch??!

If you have someting that works - why not stick with it?!

''how to configure the Eclipse''

Configuring Eclipse is

not

a task for a novice!!

''i am a newbie in this area''

All the more reason to stick with what you already have!

stm32forum
Associate II
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on December 11, 2012 at 13:37

Michael, I guess your wording is a little imprecise:

I have the stm3240g-eval board,currently i am working with keil uvision as my IDE + armcc,but i am willing to switch to gcc .

I guess you mean the codesizelimited evaluation version, which would be a good reason to switch.

And to agree with others, Coocox is worth a look, especially for beginners.

Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on December 11, 2012 at 14:03

''I guess you mean the codesize limited evaluation version, which would be a good reason to switch''

But then it doesn't make sense to be trying to get GCC to work with uVision - because the uVision will still be limited!!

For a beginner, you should be able to do plenty of useful work, and gain a lot of necessary experience within the limitations of the Keil ''Lite'' version...
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on December 11, 2012 at 14:22

But then it doesn't make sense to be trying to get GCC to work with uVision - because the uVision will still be limited!!

Yes, one could understand the statements of the original poster this way...

But I assume, switching to gcc implies for him also switching to another IDE.

The wording in general points to private usage. And I don't know of anyone willing to pay for a full licence just for his hobby.

But, as I said, this is an assumption.

Guess he should clarify his issue...

mailmail9116
Associate II
Posted on December 14, 2012 at 16:07

Hi,

I managed to get things working,thanks everybody 🙂

btw ,its not for private use,and i must say(even though that i worked with eclipse before),it is a much much better IDE that uvision

Thanks

Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on December 16, 2012 at 18:48

''But I assume, switching to gcc implies for him also switching to another IDE''

In the cross-post on the Keil forum, he was specifically asking about using uVision with GCC.

''I don't know of anyone willing to pay for a full licence just for his hobby''

Funny, that - why are electronics hobbyists (and some engineers) such skinflints?!

People with other hobbies pay amounts comparable to (and in excess of) a Keil licence to pursue their hobbies - eg, sports gear, musical instruments, etc.

http://www.8052.com/forumchat/read/177636

But that's another discussion...
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on December 17, 2012 at 08:55

In the cross-post on the Keil forum, he was specifically asking about using uVision with GCC.

I didn't check this forum, and he wasn't too explicit here ...

Funny, that - why are electronics hobbyists (and some engineers) such skinflints?!

I meant that Keil uVision4 licence the costs as much as a small car ...

I spent more than one order of magnitude less, for a private Crossworks licence 😉