cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Embedded UI Resource Editor with 16-bit FSMC (STM32F103VC) and ILI9320 LCD driver.

patrickbrataas9
Associate II
Posted on January 05, 2013 at 20:51

Hello!

I have started doing GUI development on a ARM coretex M3 with 16-bit FSMC and a TFT LCD touch display with a built-in ILI9320 LCD driver. I have used the ST Embedded UI Resource Editor to make some simple screens with some widgets (buttons and labels).

All the ST examples for their dev. board that I have found so far use the SPI instead of the parallell FSMC. So on my board (HY-Mini STM32V) that has 16 parallell lines connected to the FSMC, the examples do me no good.

What I want to achieve is to be able to use the ST Embedded UI Resource Editor (STEUIRE) with my board.

I can see that the STEUIRE outputs 6 files: pictures.c/.h, uiappuser.c/.h and uiframework.c/.h.

The pictures files contains the .bmp/C-array representation.

The uiappuser files contains functions called by events like button click etc.

The uiframwork files contains functions that configure screen objects.

These files are dependent on the LcdHal.c/.h files as these are the interface/hardware abstraction.

So as far as I can see I have to rewrite all the functions in this document to work with 16-bit FSMC instead of SPI?

-Anyone already done this and can confirm if this worked and if there was any problems using the STEUIRE?

-Anyone have/know where to find an already exsisting code for this?

-Any tips that would ease or help me in any way is much appreciated!

Thank you for reading!

#fsmc #stm32f103vc #ili9320
1 REPLY 1
jj2
Associate II
Posted on January 07, 2013 at 21:00

You've set yourself a heady task - and I do not like your target LCD Controller.  ILI9320 is pretty much restricted to small, QVGA TFT displays. 

While it is possible to re-write display drivers - would it not be easier to choose a display with the far more suitable SSD1963 TFT Controller.  SSD1963 is vastly superior in capability and range of displays supported.  (drives to 800x480 pixels - thus can run 3.5, 4.3, 5, 5.7, 7.0, 8.0 TFTs.)  SSD1963 is becoming increasingly popular w/TFT makers - many now include this superior IC.  Also - you have much added flexibility as you can use displays either with - or without - this Controller ''on board.''

The SSD1963 accepts either an 8 or 16 bit data bus + usual control/strobe signals - your use of FSMC (which requires a more expensive, more complex MCU) is eliminated (at least for the display portion of your project) and always unknown is, ''just how much MCU capability will be swallowed'' by the FSMC adoption.

You list .bmp file display as an objective.  These are huge when compared to .jpg - I feel that you'd do better to use any extra MCU and/or external FPGA to support .jpg decoding - that will yield a clear and major benefit.

Believe this Controller ''re-think'' will benefit you greatly - both now and in the future...  I have 2 decades + experience in the display industry - receive no reward from SSD maker.