Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F3Discovery Compass Demo

kyniek
Associate II
Posted on April 28, 2013 at 14:11

Hello

I'm a student and my problem is, that I have to do compass demo on my PC, in order to do magnetic effect test. I bought STM32F3Discovery, but i can't find anything. I have found on youtube this compass demo, but author did not write description how he managed to do that. Anyone can help me with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpi9BC5HdPs

#do-your-own-homework #stm32f3-discovery-compass-demo
9 REPLIES 9
Posted on April 28, 2013 at 20:46

The problem with using other peoples code for ones own homework is that you never figure out how to do the work.

You should perhaps look at the F3 demo code, and integrate in one of the USB VCP/HID examples in with the compass demo for the board.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
kyniek
Associate II
Posted on May 06, 2013 at 13:29

Hello again

I've discovered Unico GUI, where I can use compass function with LSM303DLHC. My question is, will Discovery board be compatible with this software?

Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on May 07, 2013 at 12:11

It's your  project - that means it's your  job to find out (and/or figure out).

Have you studied the ''Unico GUI''documentation?

What did you learn?

What is your doubt?

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#homework

kyniek
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2013 at 16:36

I'm a beginner in ARM's. That's why I'm asking and searching where I can 🙂 I'm very suprised, that for STEVAL boards, after pluging in USB port, there are Unico and iNemo which shows everything in a very simple way. Discovery board, from my beginning view, still hasn't gotten an easy and complete tools to visualize each parameters.

craig239955_stm1_st
Associate II
Posted on May 15, 2013 at 16:22

Did you ever find what you were looking for? 

I'm finding the same difficulty in learning how to use the STM32 as well since there just seems to be no straightforward examples or much documentation of the few there are. I feel like some responses on this forum aren't so conducive to a productive learning experience either.

kyniek
Associate II
Posted on May 16, 2013 at 16:01

I've been in this situation for about 2 months. Only example I've found is this Youtube video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpi9BC5HdPs

, but author didn't respond to my questions about how to visualize compass on PC via USB. And U?

crt2
Associate II
Posted on May 16, 2013 at 17:26

How to visualize compass on PC? Write a GUI in PC - stm will just send you data, how will you present it is totally on you. So if that is the case all you need to do is read data from compass and send it via usart (RS232 to USB adapter so you can plug it into USB).

You got all help you asked for, but you did not ask anything yet except the question I've answered.

kyniek
Associate II
Posted on May 16, 2013 at 17:36

Ok I've found something intresting. After Google translation

http://www.compeljournal.ru/enews/2013/2/6

It says that we could use Unico  GUI with Discovery. There is also a code for compass reading which I suppose gives us an option to compile it with some IDE. But how to implement that specific code into the Discovery files brought from STM site?

Posted on May 16, 2013 at 18:03

You appear to have a whole heap of unknowns and lack of experience, many of these are complex and not learned by snapping ones fingers. If you try an all-at-once approach the learning curve is going to be VERY steep.

The VCP examples in the USB FW library would be one place to start. You should familiarize yourself with these. How they build, how they load, and the drivers on the PC side. They target the EVAL series boards, if you don't have one of these then you'll need to port the code to the DISCOVERY boards. This will require some knowledge of the tool chain, software dev work, and editing, modifying and porting to a board where the hardware differs slightly. The key place to start is removing the LCD support code, and other extraneous hardware support for stuff that's NOT on the DISCOVERY boards, and secondarily changing any PIN and PERIPHERAL differences between the boards. Yes, this will require study and work to do, but is the staple of embedded dev work.

On the PC side, building a Windows App is a whole skill set in and of itself. What experience do you bring to this? I know people with years of experience who can't do this well, and others who can bodge up examples in VB or JAVA.

Serial is relatively easy to pull off. There might be an easy way with a HID too, but I'm not too up on that. Attaching hardware, and building drivers, is rather a cluster in my experience, so best use things and interfaces which already exist and are simple.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..