Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32F429I-Discovery upgrade ST-Link firmware trick

Christopher Pappas
Senior II
Posted on May 23, 2014 at 00:05

Hello all!,

For everyone with an  STM32F429I-Discovery board  trying to upgrade the ST-Link firmware thru the ST-Link Utility version 3.4.0. If you don't see the DFU mode present message on connect and ST-Upgrade refuses to connect, do this to make it work properly:

1.  Jumper both Boot0 and Boot1.

2.  Plug in the ST-Link cable and the USB OTG cable.

3.  Run ST-Link Utility, and select ''Upgrade Firmware'' to start ST-Upgrade.

4.  Do not click on connect yet (it will fail almost every time).  

5.  Unplug the ST-Link Mini-B cable, leaving the USB OTG Micro-B cable attached.

6.  Wait for 6 seconds.

7.  Plug the ST-Link Mini-B cable back in.

8.  Wait another 6 seconds.

9.  Click the ''Connect'' button. You should now see the current firmware message.

Now you can click the ''Upgrade'' button to update the firmware.

#stm32f429 #dfu #discovery #st-link
5 REPLIES 5
Christopher Pappas
Senior II
Posted on May 23, 2014 at 23:06

Just posting this here because I am seeing that others are having difficulty with the new 32F429 Discovery boards. Definitely a bad timing bug in the new boards.

I never had this problem with the 32F407 Discovery boards.

S C
ST Employee
Posted on May 28, 2014 at 19:07

Hello,

It looks like there is a confusion between the DFU mode of the STM32F429 micro and the ST-Link upgrade (firmware of STM32F103).

The ST-Link firmware upgrade provided by ST-LinkUtility only requires the USB ST-Link cable to be connected. Clicking ''Device Connect'' should establish the connection and make the discovery board ready for updating the STM32F103 firmware. Are you facing any issue with such procedure ?

If yes may you please detail what is your PC Operating System and what happens (in device manager) when simply connecting the USB ST-Link cable and only this one ?

Thank you
rstanley
Associate II
Posted on June 04, 2014 at 03:01

The problem that lead me to this mesage string is a complaint from the ST-LINK Utility about ''Old ST-LINK firmware...'' When I try to run Upgrade, I get a ''ST-Link is not in the DFU mode''.

I am also using the32F429IDISCOVERYkit.

Trying to attach a screen Snip graphic png file to show this.

How to get in DFU mode?

Attachments :

stlink_not_in_DFU_Capture.PNG : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I01C&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bTL%2Fj5ujNq3moob_34yp6gDqipA3tL3xsblxnBXSIsOqpFw&asPdf=false
Posted on June 04, 2014 at 03:26

Unplug, and plug it back in.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on October 15, 2017 at 07:52

This really works. My problem has been solved,...

I find that the firmware can be updated only once whenever ST-Link is plugged