Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F & 4-quadrant complementary switching

bluewaters213
Associate III
Posted on March 16, 2013 at 21:38

Hello,

I want to implement the bipolar 4-quadrant complementary switching using STM32F103C8 TIMER1. The bipolar switching requires that the top and bottom switch PWM signals need to be swapped.I have read STM32F103C8 reference manual but there is no place to explain how to Swap CH1..3 & NCH1..3. Do anyone have idea or STM32F can't implement bipolar 4-quadrant complementary switching.

Thanks

Slim
2 REPLIES 2
jpeacock2399
Associate II
Posted on March 17, 2013 at 00:10

Look at the TIM1 Advanced Timer, the section on complementary outputs.  TIM1 and TIM8 are ideal for driving steppers.  The STM32 can be configured to output both sides of an H-bridge, including the deadtime when switching polarity.  It's complicated to set up, especially if you PWM the outputs to vary current to the windings, but works quite well.

Jack Peacock
bluewaters213
Associate III
Posted on March 17, 2013 at 01:12

Hello,

I think I have been able to implement 4 quadrant bipolar switching.It was by  trial and error.It setup can not be found in the manual.The STM32F is a complex and complicated MCU couple with the badly written Reference manual, it has become an headache.I don't mind 2000+ pages of reference manual explaining every little bit of the MCU.

Regards