cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is possible to use M24LR04E for sending NDEF messages?

val_ltd
Associate II
Posted on December 03, 2013 at 14:02

Hello,

Is possible to use M24LR04E for sending a NDEF message? (intended to read it from a mobile, for making pairing operations, etc..)

Please, is there any example of code, about how publishing an NDEF message in the antenna, using I2C bus?

If not.... please, why not? and what kind of chip could I use?

Is M24SR02-Y chip the right one? I read that it is still on evaluation process... and not for sale.

Thanks in advance,

#m24sr #ndef #ndef #m24lr04e #m24sr02 #m24sr64 #m24lr #m24sr64 #m24sr
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anais GALLIGANI
Senior II
Posted on December 10, 2013 at 10:42

Hello,

Yes it is possible to use M24LR04E for sending a NDEF message

(intended to read it from a mobile, for making pairing operations, etc..)

You have an application note that explains how to do it.

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/DM00029842.pdf

With

• M24LR : ISO 15693 , some smartphones as Galaxy S4 support natively the NDEF inside the M24LR so you dont need to develop any application. With most of ISO 15693 compatible phones, you need to develop an application.

We provide the source code of our application : NfcV-Reader available on Google play : 

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF257517

• M24SR : ISO 14443, NFC phones will be able to read the NDEF messages natively.

You can place sample order through disty.

I hope this is helping,

Have a nice day,

ST NFC/RFID Dynamic tag support

Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 2:07 PM

Subject: Is possible to use M24LR04E for sending NDEF messages?

Hello,

Is possible to use M24LR04E for sending a NDEF message? (intended to read it from a mobile, for making pairing operations, etc..)

Please, is there any example of code, about how publishing an NDEF message in the antenna, using I2C bus?

Is M24SR02-Y chip the right one? I read that it is still on evaluation process... and not for sale.

Thanks in advance,

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anais GALLIGANI
Senior II
Posted on December 10, 2013 at 10:42

Hello,

Yes it is possible to use M24LR04E for sending a NDEF message

(intended to read it from a mobile, for making pairing operations, etc..)

You have an application note that explains how to do it.

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/DM00029842.pdf

With

• M24LR : ISO 15693 , some smartphones as Galaxy S4 support natively the NDEF inside the M24LR so you dont need to develop any application. With most of ISO 15693 compatible phones, you need to develop an application.

We provide the source code of our application : NfcV-Reader available on Google play : 

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF257517

• M24SR : ISO 14443, NFC phones will be able to read the NDEF messages natively.

You can place sample order through disty.

I hope this is helping,

Have a nice day,

ST NFC/RFID Dynamic tag support

Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 2:07 PM

Subject: Is possible to use M24LR04E for sending NDEF messages?

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
val_ltd
Associate II
Posted on January 07, 2014 at 11:25

Thank you very much for your explanation.

I see M24SR02-Y is much more upgraded than M24LR series. I think it is very similar to RF430CL330H transponder, from Texas Instruments.

I have another question:

I bought six pcb demo-board from ST for testing (ANT2-M24LR16E, ANT3-M24LR04E, ANT7-M24LR16E), with M24LR16E chip. This chip has Internal tuning capacitance: 27.5pF

and M24SR02-Y chip has Internal tuning capacitance: 25pF

May I replace the M24LR16E chips with M24SR02 chips, in these boards? Is significant the difference of Internal tuning capacitance?

Are there

test antennas

with

M24SR02 chip?

Thanks in advance,

Valentin

Anais GALLIGANI
Senior II
Posted on January 07, 2014 at 12:17

Hello Valentin,

Thanks for  your interest in our product, and happy new year 🙂

Yes you can replace the M24SR02 in these boards, we decided to implement a lower internal capacitor value for M24SR in order to allow customers to use the same antenna design.

There will be soon M24SR64 test antenna that will be available end february. (compatible with M24SR02)

ST NFC/RFID Dynamic tag support.

val_ltd
Associate II
Posted on January 07, 2014 at 12:26

Hello, happy new year for you, as well..!

I have checked your web site, for ask for samples, but in field ''Distributor availability'' always say: ''No data reported, please contact our Distributors

http://www.st.com/stonline/contactus/contacts/index.php

''

Do I really have to contact with ST in Spain, for asking for some (few) samples?

Thanks,

Valentin

Anais GALLIGANI
Senior II
Posted on January 07, 2014 at 12:55

Thanks to send me your email.

May be we can arrange something.

ST NFC/RFID Dynamic tag

val_ltd
Associate II
Posted on January 07, 2014 at 13:02

What is the bset way to send you my email? I do not see any button for sending private messages.

thanks

val_ltd
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 09:55

Yesterday I have tested ISO 15693 antennas with some mobiles and tablets, without any additional software:

They worked fine with Google Nexus 7 (2013 version) but doesn´t with Samsung Galaxy III or IV,

val_ltd
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2014 at 12:52

I am looking for the way to read by I2C any Version Register in chips M24LR04E,  M24LR16E, and M24SR02-2 at the beginning of my code, in order to support all of them in the same program, but I could not find anything. Is there a way to do that?

thanks,

val_ltd
Associate II
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 09:46

Hello,

I am reading the M24SR02-2 datasheet/Programmer's Reference Manual.

I see that some things are missing, or simply I miss them:

Chapter 5.5:

It says that CRC is defined in ISO/IEC 13239... but this rule has 140 pg... It should be useful an annex explaining better this issue.

Chapter 8:

There is not an example of writing a NDEF message in the chip, using I2C. But it is a very common situation!

Chapter 9:

It explains UID number. But it is not explained a command or the memory address (for reading by I2C) and the security access rules for reading by I2C. It is important, because it could be useful for identify the kind of hardware we are using, at the beginning of program.

In

7.9.1 and 8 chapters

, I miss some examples of the

full

process of writing and reading NDEF messages,  I mean, in the same way as shown in Figure 14, and in M24LR04E and M24LR16E datasheet/Programmer's Reference Manuals.