Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-LINK V2 Virtual Machine speed

ram
Associate
Posted on February 05, 2013 at 07:05

Hi All,

I am using Keil uVision 4 with the ST-Link in the STM32L Discovery board. I can load a 150K binary on my windows machine in less than a minute but on my virtual machine it takes close to 4 minutes!

The virtual machine is running on a macbook pro with beefy specs [ 2GHz Quad i7 with 12GB RAM , 4Gb for the VM and a SSD hard drive ] . I know the specs dont matter as much for the transfer speed but I cannot figure out why the performance would be so different.

I am flashing using SWD [ not JTAG ] not sure if that makes a diff either.

Any help here is appreciated!

Thanks

#st-link #stm32-discovery
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on February 05, 2013 at 17:14

It could be a protocol issue, or USB visualization issue. Are you using Virtual Box, or can you try another VM.

I've used Segger J-Link's under Virtual Box, and I can't say I perceived any chronic drag on it. But an Apples and Oranges comparison there. Six cored Phenom II X6 1035T with 16GB

It could be ST-Link specific, suggest you try a U-Link or J-Link before you give up on the virtualization.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ram
Associate
Posted on February 05, 2013 at 22:51

i am using parallels 8. Not sure if this has to do with the beefiness of the machine . Also the same ST-Link works great on a native windows desktop.

I did try J-Link which was definitely better but still wasn't up to speed with what I saw on the desktop. I realized I can get a shitty windows machine for less than what the J-Link costs and get the same performance as the ST-Link !

Posted on February 06, 2013 at 00:48

Not sure if this has to do with the beefiness of the machine.

Pretty sure it doesn't.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..