cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 in real consumer products

Posted on June 05, 2018 at 13:25

I believe I do not violate any forum policy here. I do not want anyone to break any secrets here.

I am a hobbyist & STM32 enthusiast but I have never seen any real products where the STM32 was embedded (besides Sony SmartWatch a few years ago, and Primer / EvoPrimer Tools).

I think such information might be interesting for many STM32 enthusiasts.

If you could share some information about real products where we can find the STM32 MCUs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
30 REPLIES 30
Tilen MAJERLE
ST Employee
Posted on June 05, 2018 at 13:50

I would also add Xiaomi Amazefit 2 smart watch.

AVI-crak
Senior
Posted on June 05, 2018 at 14:57

Modern car radio with large screens - almost all have chips st. A huge variety of home appliances - where there are small LCD screens, industrial automation (chastotnik for a three-phase electric motor), and so on.

Another thing is important.

Virtually all products with st chips have second-level protection + almost always raw software. It is not subject to repair and restoration in case of failure. For this reason, information about st chips (firmware replacement) is completely absent from repairers' forums.

A good chip to sell, and very bad to buy.
Posted on June 05, 2018 at 14:14

Thank you for pointing out such great tool as iFixit

Posted on June 05, 2018 at 14:30

The site looks more like 'open and dissect it', rather than 'fix it'...

My last company used a STM8 in a 'electronic ballast' device for LED lighting. Not yet a STM32.

Posted on June 05, 2018 at 14:54

The NIKE Fuelband used an L15x part as I recall.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 05, 2018 at 16:20

>A good chip to sell, and very bad to buy

Not sure why the chip is bad to buy.

I guess the ST does not make the designer protect the code at the level 2. It's a product vendor choice.

Posted on June 05, 2018 at 17:32

The parts in the infotainment systems aren't typically STM32 but rather ARM9, A7, R4 based ST Cartesio or Accordo.

The people using these parts have plenty of documentation and support, don't confuse that for support for hackers and chippers, or forums heavily populated with scriptkidz. People like SiLabs, Marvell, Broadcom, etc guard their IP and documentation too.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Carlos Diaz
Associate II
Posted on June 05, 2018 at 21:54

IIRC the controllers on the Nintendo Switch have a STM32 device in it.