cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L-Discovery - ITM_SendChar lost chars

Posted on March 12, 2017 at 23:30

Hi,

I used to use the ITM_SendChar with STM32F3 Discovery board in the past with no problem.

===

Now I wanted get an text output from another VCOM-less board - the STM32L-Discovery.

I configured the ST-LINK debugger the regular way for ITM:

XTAL=2Mhz (sourced from the ST-LINK MCU)

Core Clock=2Mhz, Trace Enable, ITM Stimulus Port:0, Unchecked Trace Events to reduce load

and re-targeted the putc() to ITM_SendChar().

Unfortunately the output is not reliable. I use Keil Debug PrintViewer as the SWV terminal:

Counter: 0

Counter: 1 ounter: 2 Counter: 3 Counter: 4 ounter: 5 ounter: 6 Counter: 7 Counter: Counter: 9 Counter: 10 Counter: 1 Counter: 12

===

I added some delay in-between the consequtive ITM_SendChar() calls but did not succede.

See simple example of failing code:

#include 'stm32l1xx.h'
#include 'stdio.h'
#include 'string.h'
struct __FILE {
 int dummy;
};

FILE __stdout;
int fputc(int ch, FILE *f)
{ 
return(ITM_SendChar(ch));
}
volatile uint32_t msTicks=0, last_msTicks=0; // counts 1ms timeTicks - global var also good for debugging
uint32_t counter=0;
void SysTick_Handler(void) {
 msTicks++;
}
void ITM_PrintString(char *msg)
{
int k;
int ll=strlen(msg);
for(k=0;k<ll;k++)
{
ITM_SendChar(*(msg+k));
}
}
#define PERIOD1000
int main(void)
{
SystemCoreClockUpdate ();// to update SystemCoreClock var - add SystemCoreClock to Watch to see exact value used
SysTick_Config(SystemCoreClock/1000);// systick setup
while (1) {
if((msTicks-last_msTicks)>PERIOD)
{
printf('Counter: %d\n\r', counter);
counter++;
last_msTicks=msTicks;
}
}
}
�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?

Please share any idea I would try to narrow down the issue.

Bogdan

2 REPLIES 2
Posted on March 12, 2017 at 23:39

Please notice that the output messages from the printf() is generated every 1000ms (not so often).

Posted on March 13, 2017 at 10:54

Not sure I've seen the L1 do this. Make sure you have most current firmware on the ST-LINK side.

Pretty sure the HSE input is 8 MHz from the ST-LINK. 

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..