Did you mean: 

F2/F4 I2S Ext.Clock

martinmartin9129
Associate II
Posted on April 03, 2013 at 14:19

Hi friends,

It is written at ref/man for F2 and F4:

Bit 7:0 I2SDIV: I2S Linear prescaler

I2SDIV [7:0] = 0 or I2SDIV [7:0] = 1 are forbidden values.

Why ''0'' is forbidden is clear, but why ''1'' ?!

I make some intensive tests, and with I2SDIV=1 it works fine, did not see any problem.

Usially, I not like to use the components ''out of spec'', for clear reason, but I want to understand the spec.

This issue  I don't understant, so I have to decide - or use it out of spec, or to double the clock frequency Ithat increase the device' cost).

Mayby  DIV=1 has a problem only with internal PLL clock?

Thanks.

#stm32-i2s
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on April 04, 2013 at 11:12

> I make some intensive tests, and with I2SDIV=1 it works fine, did not see any problem.

Probably not intensive enough - I do see problems - with I2SDIV=1 , ODD=1 appears to be ignored.

This is not to say that I2SDIV=1 and ODD=0 will work under any circumstances.

(The missing MCO pulses are due to sampling rate of LA set to too low - 100MHz - sorry).

JW

0690X000006054qQAA.png

martinmartin9129
Associate II
Posted on April 04, 2013 at 17:10

Can you check with ODD=0? I do not use it.

However,  if I set DIV=1 and after this I chahged the format (I2S-LJ-RJ) sometimes I have seen the shift for a whole byte or even half-word, but if I don't change format and change Fs only - all OK.

After this I make the following:  Init I2S with DIV-2 and format setting, 5ms delay, then init I2S again, with the same format but DIV=0.

With this - never seen bit/byte/half-word shift.

All this just for fan, I'm afraid to use it in a production device, so I increase Ext.Freq twice.

Posted on April 05, 2013 at 13:04

> Can you check with ODD=0? I do not use it.

The first and third waveforms were taken with ODD=0 - the whole SPI_I2SPR register is given under each waveform.

JW