cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming languages

j3lda
Associate II
Posted on March 19, 2013 at 13:31

Hello, I´m new in programming STM32, so I´m sorry for ''stupid'' question. It´s possible to program STM32 microcontrollers by objected oriented languages (C++, Java,...). I know that using C is the best choice, but I´m only interested in another possibilities. Thank you for answers.

2 REPLIES 2
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on March 19, 2013 at 13:44

Of course you can.

And there do exist projects in C++, and efforts to put Java and scripting languages to Cortex M controllers.

But for commercial users/projects, the more important question is, does it pay off ?

And because those are OO languages are most often hard to contain in their hunger for memory and performance, it is most usually not. For 1k ... 100k devices p.a., it is far more economical to switch to C, and use the cheaper variant with less Flash/RAM.

emalund
Associate III
Posted on March 19, 2013 at 15:28

PC programming supposedly is based on unlimited resources (and they are used) so, in that world you see a lot of ''make it easy for the programmer'' ''protect the programmer from him/herself'' ''make it work on may platforms''.

A professional embedded application is made by cost-conscious people (you have to compete in the marketplace) and, thus, C reigns.

thus C++ and definitely Java is relegated to the amateurs.

Erik