Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 ETH, F1 and F4

benwhitten9
Associate
Posted on April 24, 2013 at 15:12

Hi all,

I am having a look through the example Ethernet code for the STM32F1 and 4, in the IAP packages for each of these parts, and comparing the drivers for these parts.

These files seem on the whole identical, however it appears the F4 driver includes some bug fixes.

Would it be worth trying to merge them to apply to both chips?

#driver #ethernet
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on April 24, 2013 at 15:33

Would it be worth trying to merge them to apply to both chips?

For whom?

Generally speaking examples work better with the least number of permutations and configurations. The clarity of separate branches probably makes sense for ST, although when bug fixes get propagated back and forth between them is problematic.

Areas I think are problematic between F1 and F4 libraries and designs are the clocking, buses, DMA and GPIO/AF pin management.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
benwhitten9
Associate
Posted on April 24, 2013 at 16:28

A very fair point.

I was thinking from the point of view of people new to this sort of development, to take advantage of fixes or optimisations across all platforms.

If people use custom Ethernet drivers fair enough. I am still at the stage of basing my experiments off the sample code 🙂