cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F303RBT6 - Bad Analog Section

Rob Wilson
Associate
Posted on April 18, 2016 at 23:16

I had previously received the following response on this question from this forum...

This is not a known issue and the part has been shipped and used in this manner already in K units without any returns

Use the standard sales channel RMA process and the process will analyse the part for damage and determine if it was an issue with silicon or external cct

The customer has responded with the following commentary...

I had a look at this failed unit last week. To re-cap, the unit appeared to operate as expected during one series of tests (low power) but failed during a functional (high power test). 

What I found was that the 

MCU had been damaged and drew significantly more current then expected (Power draw when injecting directly onto our 3.3 Volt rail is typically 15mA and this unit draws closer to 75mA). This excess current changes the we detect system power resulting the odd behaviour in the functional test.

This was the 

only failure of it’s kind in a 3k piece pilot build.

Ideally, I’d like to know exactly why the unit failed but I’m happy to call it a “one-offâ€� occurrence. 

Question, the SWD lines as well as the RESET line are exposed on a header. If these pins were subjected to a high external voltage (12 or 24 Volts), could they result in the excess current draw but maybe not affect general functionality?

Rob Wilson - this does sound like a one off customer error but I wanted to check and make sure we have not seen this elsewhere.

Appreciate your help.

1 REPLY 1
Posted on April 19, 2016 at 17:46

What's the question?

If I put a high voltage, and let excessive current flow through some of my pins will this cause some localized damage in some of the most resistive parts of my created conduction path?

The answer to that is clearly yes, might it cause some more extensive and latent damage, also probably yes too, because it would have gotten quite hot, at least briefly.

Why would such voltages be presented? A connector with poor orientation/positioning constraints? I'm pretty sure it is not because of a 1/3000 defect in the part.

Does replacing the part remedy the problem? Does the replacement part also fail? Are there any board issues, with the PCB fabrication (internal shorts) or the soldering (external shorts)?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..