Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eclipse+gcc+openocd+FreeRTOS

dorraguitariste
Associate II
Posted on April 18, 2013 at 13:38

Hello,

Am using eclipse+gcc+openocd+FreeRTOS to setup an open Development Environment  for complex STM32 based embedded application.  I'm very new to building with GCC in general and I have never used FreeRTOS, but I'd like to try getting the OS up.I haven't found a lot of documentation about configuring eclipse when using FreeRTOS projects and i ve already downloaded FreeRTOSV7.4.0. so hopefully someone here can shed some light! Any resources would be most helpful. Like I said, I'm very new to this kind of development.

#know-your-tools
12 REPLIES 12
Posted on April 18, 2013 at 14:44

Sounds like a winning formula.

Suggest you hire some additional project staff to assist/train you, and start reading a lot of books.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
crt2
Associate II
Posted on April 18, 2013 at 16:20

I'd expect to hear some question or something since it seems installation and everything else runs fine using your configuration?

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on April 18, 2013 at 17:21

I fully agree with clive1, only I would call it a recipe for disaster.

My suggestion is to try with free version of Atollic TrueStudio first.

It is both gcc and Eclipse, and will allow for an easy entry. There are lots of example projects from ST for this toolchain, to start with.

This might easy migration to your free toolchain, once you got it running. Realistically, expect days or weeks for that ...

dorraguitariste
Associate II
Posted on April 18, 2013 at 17:30

Sorry for not mentionning it, but i ve already did that and that is true it took me weeks ,  but now i want to move to FreeRTOS but i don't know if i have to do the same configurations or there is something special  for  RTOS

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on April 18, 2013 at 17:55

... if i have to do the same configurations or there is something special  for  RTOS ...

Usually not. At this level, a RTOS is basically just a bunch of files you add to your project. It might need some configuration work, to specify what features you want, and which not.

For that, and for designing your project, you will need a certain knowledge and understanding of the RTOS and its features. The real ''trouble'' begins when you start to debug it ...

dorraguitariste
Associate II
Posted on April 18, 2013 at 18:18

what kind of configuration, is it in the c programs or do you mean toolchain configuration?

Posted on April 18, 2013 at 20:11

In this context, I think fm means how the project is configured, in terms of files/directories, how the environment (eclipse) interacts with the tools (compiler, linker, assembler, etc), and where various components get placed as they are built.

Which STM32 part are we talking about here? FreeRTOS comes with a number of STM32 examples, usually tided to specific boards or toolchains. Many of these can be ported to different chains, but this requires a reasonable grasp of how those chains handle things, and how that comports with the tools you have chosen.

You seem to have made a number of decisions already which compound the complexity of your task. Usually the way to attack such problems is to start from things you already know and understand.

In that regard you should look at some of the other toolchains and debuggers, perhaps eval versions, and boards already supported. Understand those, how they work, then with a working knowledge step to the next platform or board. For example why not use Keil, STM32F4-Discovery, ST-LINK, and FreeRTOS, get that figured out, then proceed. I'm pretty sure examples of that have been posted before.
dorraguitariste
Associate II
Posted on May 02, 2013 at 15:56

Hello,

I started with the demo of CORTEX_M4F_STM32F407ZG-SK that i found in http://www.freertos.org.

Now when i build the project i have this error in ''port.c'':

'SystemCoreClock' undeclared (first use in this function)

I ve already included

The following directories

in path:

• Demo/Common
  • Demo/CORTEX_M4F_STM32F407ZG-SK
  • Source/include
  • Source/portable/GCC/ARM_CM4F
what is the problem?

Posted on May 02, 2013 at 17:39

Would need include paths for the STM32 firmware libraries

Demo\CORTEX_M4F_STM32F407ZG-SK\Libraries\CMSIS\Device\ST\STM32F4xx\Include

Demo\CORTEX_M4F_STM32F407ZG-SK\Libraries\STM32F4xx_StdPeriph_Driver\inc

Demo\CORTEX_M4F_STM32F407ZG-SK\board