Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5V tolerant pin as output with pullup

mmensch
Associate II
Posted on April 19, 2013 at 16:09

Hi,

I need to replace a 5V-uC by a 3.3V type and maybe it will be a STM32F0xxx. Now there is one question concerning 5V tolerance: If the 3.3V-uC drives an output that has a pullup resistor to 5V, is that any problem because of current flowing into the output pin?

Thank you very much

Martin
5 REPLIES 5
dthedens23
Associate II
Posted on April 19, 2013 at 18:12

yes.  You do not drive the pin high.

logic low:   You make the pin an output and drive it low

logic high:  You make the pin an input, then the 5v pull up resistor drives it high

to toggle, just change the pin from input, to output, to input, .... 

emalund
Associate III
Posted on April 19, 2013 at 19:29

if you are replacing a push-pull output with an output pulled up by a resisitor you will see greatly increased risetimes.  sometimes a problem, sometimes not.

Erik
zzdz2
Associate II
Posted on April 20, 2013 at 09:15

You can configure pin as output open-drain so only N output transistor is activated when output is low.

mmensch
Associate II
Posted on April 22, 2013 at 09:55

Hi,

thank you for your answers.

I was asking this question also to the ST online support and got no answer for quite a while, so I decided to post it here. As things are going I received an answer right after that. Just to complete it I also post it here:

You should configure the GPIO as open drain and disable the internal pull-up (the external one only shall be used).

When the FT pin is then output-low, there is max allowed current 25mA through the pin. In output-high guarantees the FT pin circuitry zero injection current when the external voltage applied to the pin is above VDD (and below VDD+4V).

As a conclusion I understand that I should not use the high side FET of the output. Just to improve my knowledge I would like to know what would or could happen if I configured the output as pushpull. Any hints on this would be welcome

Thanks

Martin

klauskvik
Associate II
Posted on April 24, 2013 at 10:26