Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is STM32Lxxx compatible with STM32Fxxx?

mmensch
Associate II
Posted on June 27, 2014 at 14:43

Hi;

I recently noticed the STM32L family, while I already took a closer look at (and worked with) the STM32F family. At first glance it seemed to me that the STM32L05xxx are pin compatible with the STM32L05xxx. So here are my questions about compatibility:

- Are the STM32Lxxx pin compatible with STM32Fxxx? Also concerning things like 5V-tolerance on the pins, alternate functions?

- Are they software compatible, at least with minor changes (on the C-level not machine code level)?

- Is there a discovery kit for STM32L05xx that is compatible (ie replacable on my prototype base board) with STM32F0 discovery kit ?

- I read about these improvements: Cortex M0+ vs M0, true EEPROM. What others are there?

- Are there restrictions that could make a replacement impossible?

- Is there a paper summarizing all these things?

- Is there or will there be soon a support on CooCox?

Thanks a lot

Martin

5 REPLIES 5
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on June 27, 2014 at 17:04

Some documentation references covering only L1, hoping it will be helpful:

-

http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/DM00032987.pdf

: Migration of microcontroller applications from STM32F1 to STM32L1 series

-

http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/DM00024853.pdf

: Migration and compatibility guidelines for STM32 microcontroller applications

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on June 27, 2014 at 17:17

Pin allocations tend to be very similar, the F1 parts have a totally different pin/function muxing strategy than any of the other parts. But your REALLY have to go through the Data Sheet, and repeat any due diligence work.

The Cortex-M0 is a step backward in terms of functionality (instructions/division) and debugging/diagnostic.

F030 parts have more challenging pin mux choices, lower pin counts.

The L0 parts are not like anything else, and do not provide a Standard Library

The Cortex-Mx core is only a fractional part of the die compared to the memory and peripheral contribution. Be sure you can't attain goals on other parts by dropping voltage and speed to similar levels. Be sure you know your code footprint and horse-power requirements.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 27, 2014 at 17:22

You'll have to talk to CooCox about their plans, if any, my experience with them is they support new architectures/chips at a glacial pace. Perhaps they are under-staffed, or have other focus issue. Free isn't a very good business model in this regard. Perhaps they could be focused with a Kick Starter campaign?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mmensch
Associate II
Posted on June 30, 2014 at 11:40

Hi,

thank you for your answers.

I found another thing myself. On the STM32 L1 series start page it says:

To simplify migration and give you all the flexibility you need, the STM32 L1 is pin-to-pin compatible with the different STM32 F series and opens the door to the full STM32 ecosystem.

So that sounds good. Still I think I should check everything I  need myself.

Martin

mikael239955_stm1_st
Associate III
Posted on June 30, 2014 at 20:27

Em:blocks seams to suport L versions as they are noted in the SVD repository.