cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will STM start shipping STM32H7 devices to distributors

anonymous.8
Senior II
Posted on August 07, 2017 at 00:58

STM have made a big song and dance about STM32H7 devices being in production by Q2 2017. Well Q2 has come and gone and still distributors such as Digi-Key and Mouser have no inventory nor even any parts listings. Also when is STM going to make available discovery boards for this series?

#stm32h7
16 REPLIES 16
STOne-32
ST Employee
Posted on August 08, 2017 at 01:26

Dear @David,

See this Thread

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkdsFSAR

. If you need a board please contact your nearest ST sales office.

Cheers

STOne-

Posted on August 08, 2017 at 12:10

Do you really mean to approach Digikey, Mouser or Farnell?

STOne-32
ST Employee
Posted on August 08, 2017 at 22:17

Hi David,

Sure it is coming and also our lowest cost Nucleo boards. It is just a matter of time when we finish the product qualification using our  cutting edge 40nm eFlash node and fixing some erratas. Stay tuned. { Do not ask me when  ? ...I will escape the  question... }

Cheers 

STOne -32 

Posted on August 08, 2017 at 22:09

What I am also asking is, will STM be providing a lower cost STM32H743-DISCO discovery board? I see ST's web site has a STM32H743I-EVAL high end evaluation board listed but these evaluation boards are generally very expensive for the non-professional. and usually offer far more than is really needed to get started.

Also the STM32H743I-EVAL board is not available yet from any distributor. So when will development hardware of any kind  be available at (North American) distributors?

And while I have STM's attention, why oh why, are you still insisting on only 2 x 32 bit timers but 10 x 16 bit timers. I've just downloaded the STM32H743xI datasheet and almost fell off my chair laughing at the fact that this super high performance 32 bit ARM microcontroller still has only 2 x 32 bit timers. Why is STM so stubborn with not providing more true 32 bit timers on a chip like this at the top end of your range? Come on now, it's about high time you changed that!!!
Posted on August 08, 2017 at 23:04

...and completely ignore the timer question. 

Posted on August 08, 2017 at 23:25

No, he means the ST sales office for your local region. The ones they have dotted around Europe, UK and USA, etc.

Pounding on the local distributor might help, or sales reps who carry ST on their line card.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on August 08, 2017 at 23:45

Hi  David H, David L ,

Regarding 32-bit Timer question. It is a smart one, However most if our cutomers and users wanted a product with easy user experience to migrate from an STM32F4 to STM32H7 as example and 16-bit timers are a MUST for legacy code.  Take an exemple of FOC algo for White goods 32-bits Timers are exotic !   

Innovation is a matter of small steps nowadays to meet market acceptance and mass adaption. Take exemple of Smartphones for the last decade, Simple functions of few mechanical buttons still there for power on / off, volume increase / decrease.  

Cheers 

STOne -32. 

Posted on August 09, 2017 at 00:11

Hi STOne-32,

The 40nm eFlash of the H7 will also be used in lower-end, low cost, microcontrollers (with less SRAM, Flash and CPU clock) or this technology is only economic viable for high-end application processor kind microcontrollers?

In others words,

Ari.

Posted on August 09, 2017 at 00:25

Hi mendes,

At the moment for high-end MCUs > 200MHz Clock. But from technology point of view it is also good for low end MCUs and will be the future trend after today 180nm/90nm to reduce wafer cost so end price for our customers. 

Cheers. 

STOne-32.