cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting USB PID for using multiple boards in one PC

Iman Hosseinzadeh
Associate III
Posted on December 09, 2016 at 09:39

I have designed two different data acquisition boards with STM32F407 MCU. Everything is OK. Now I would like to customize the USB CDC driver. I changed the MFG name in the .inf file provided by ST. This works in Win7 nicely (But not in Win 8, I think because of the digital signature file.)

Now when I connect both boards to one PC, some problems happen. As I know each USB device should have a VID and PID. VID should be bought from usb.org and it is really expensive. But we can use the VID of ST chips. Is it possible to change the PID of my product to avoid confusion in this situation?

Has anyone any similar experience?

Thanks in advance.

#usb #pid #driver #vid #cdc
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ST Renegade
Senior
Posted on December 09, 2016 at 21:55

To differentiate two different board you can of course use two different PIDs and it makes sense, as those boards differ. You can ask ST to get a PID free of charge from them. However if connecting exactly same devices, you should differentiate them otherwise...

Have a nice day,

Renegade

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ST Renegade
Senior
Posted on December 09, 2016 at 21:55

To differentiate two different board you can of course use two different PIDs and it makes sense, as those boards differ. You can ask ST to get a PID free of charge from them. However if connecting exactly same devices, you should differentiate them otherwise...

Have a nice day,

Renegade

Posted on December 10, 2016 at 10:41

Many Thanks.

What is the requesting process? Should I ask by email or there exists some portals?

Posted on December 10, 2016 at 21:27

I think sending an email to the ST support with a request to get two PID's should be sufficient. They will hand over a form with details about your device etc. and after you submit it, they will assign the PID to you.

Have a nice day,

Renegade
Posted on December 11, 2016 at 17:16

Thanks!