cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble updating ST Workbench

Lynn Linse
Associate III
Posted on January 17, 2018 at 15:57

This isn't a question, but a suggestion. I've always had trouble running AC6 Eclipse 'Updates', I'd usually get a 'Connection Reset' error, over and over, until one day it would work. Previously, I'd assumed the host server was too busy.

But I discovered that my company is running one of those aggressive 'hardware firewalls' which was blocking the download of JAR files - our site includes warehouse people, so even USB flash usable is restricted. The few times upgrade worked, I now see that I'd been running a personal VPN (I use NordVPN, but many are available.) I run the VPN, because when I travel I don't trust public or hotel WiFi - and at work, it allows me past the IT browsing rules, which include blocking hotmail & other 'time-wasters'.

I've now tested this assumption twice, and both times with the VPN active, the AC6/Workbench/Eclipse update works fast and flawlessly. So if you are having trouble updating Eclipse, get a free (or trial or paid) VPN and try again.

#eclipse
4 REPLIES 4
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on January 17, 2018 at 16:44

Have you also posted this on the AC6 forums?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III
Posted on January 17, 2018 at 20:11

Just note that use of  own VPN in a workplace network is considered tampering with IT infrastructure.

It is a very grave violation that can get one fired immediately.

Please get permission for doing this, don't tell you have't been warned.

-- pa

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 20:19

Indeed - and publishing what you've done in a public place rather increases your chances of getting caught, I would think ... !

Seriously, if your company's IT policies are hindering your work, then you should take this up with your manager!

Deliberately circumventing company security policies is unlikely to go well for you - even with good intentions.

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 21:14

It depends on the employee, last time I had a virus or malware issue on the network the sources were traced to the President of the company, and the Head of IT.

Anyway, this among other reasons, is why engineering has its own networks, and is air gapped from the corporate network.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..