cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why mcu not reset on ESD test ?

Mahendra Rana
Associate III
Posted on May 16, 2018 at 08:54

1. When I run system clock through HSE(8MHz/24MHz/25MHz) and PLLCLK (multiplier PLLN and divider PLLM & PLLR) than mcu not reset by ESD.

2. But when I run system clock directly through HSE(8MHz/24MHz/25MHz) than mcu get reset by ESD.

Can any one comment for my issue..

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
34 REPLIES 34
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on May 16, 2018 at 11:36

Hello

Rana.Mahendra_Singh

What is the Hardware board used ?

Best Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Mahendra Rana
Associate III
Posted on May 16, 2018 at 12:47

Board is design by our own

Posted on May 16, 2018 at 13:55

>>Board is design by our own 

That's really not very illuminating.

The cue here is to provide more clear and specific information about the system that has a problem.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on May 16, 2018 at 14:01

That board is not any nucleo board. Its circuit and pcb was designed by our own.

Posted on May 16, 2018 at 14:06

Ok, but this provides zero insight, to social cue here is to provide sufficient detail that someone not inside your head can understand/see what is going on.

Present your question with enough context that it might be reviewed.

Not sure how HSE vs HSE+PLL would behave materially differently in the current context. Is a reset response to a large ESD not a likely/acceptable outcome?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on May 16, 2018 at 14:08

The cue here is to provide more clear and specific information about the system that has a problem.

And what is the problem at all.

At least for burst/surge tests which are required for commercial devices here, the DUT is allowed to stop operating during the test. It only must not sustain permanent damage.

Posted on May 16, 2018 at 14:26

My problem is :- During ESD test(contact discharge of 2KV/4KV and air discharge test upto 8KV) MCU got reset automatically when in code I run system clock through HSE ON(8/24/25 MHz) and PLL OFF. Means program counter also reset and starts from initial code.

But for same ESD test when I run system clock through HSE ON (8/24/25 MHz) and PLL also ON than MCU never resets. Why so?

Note :- Right now I am testing through electric lighter as not having ESD gun in my lab. But tested with ESD gun 

when in code I run system clock through HSE ON(8/24/25 MHz) and PLL OFF and MCU got reset automatically that time.

Posted on May 16, 2018 at 14:29

No permanent damage only MCU reset and my HMI regain its same state so ESD test was passed in Type B category (IEC-61800-3 and IEC 61000-4-2).

Posted on May 16, 2018 at 14:31

My problem is :- During ESD test(contact discharge of 2KV/4KV and air discharge test upto 8KV) MCU got reset automatically when in code I run system clock through HSE ON(8/24/25 MHz) and PLL OFF. Means program counter also reset and starts from initial code.

But for same ESD test when I run system clock through HSE ON (8/24/25 MHz) and PLL also ON than MCU never resets. Why so?

Note :- Right now I am testing through electric lighter as not having ESD gun in my lab.

But tested with ESD gun 

when in code I run system clock through HSE ON(8/24/25 MHz) and PLL OFF and MCU got reset automatically that time.

No permanent damage only MCU reset and my HMI regain its same state so ESD test was passed in Type B category (as per IEC-61800-3 and IEC 61000-4-2 standards).