cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink Utility Error

Bob jenkins
Associate II
Posted on October 15, 2017 at 21:42

I have a Nucleo STM32F446RE board, which I purchased less than a month ago.

After flashing it several times, I am now getting errors in flasher. I also checked my board with the STLink Utility.

When I press 'Verify blank' I am getting a message 'Can not read flash memory beyond address 0x08056000. Flash memory located below this address is blank.'

Also, occasionally, when I press 'Erase chip', the STLink Utility hangs and I have to restart it and the board.

I suppose this might be because the flash memory is worn out? But how can that be, if I have been using my Nucleo board for less than a month?

I have not  done any flash programming from within my code, and I barely made more than 50 program cycles on my board.

I tried updating the STLink firmware (using STLink Utility), tried connecting to the board holding the 'Reset' button pressed, tried restarting the board multiple times (by disconnecting/connecting power)

Normally I am using this flasher utility: 

https://github.com/texane/stlink

Has anyone had similar problems?

Thanks for your responses!

#stm32 #stlink
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on October 15, 2017 at 22:40

Do you have other things plugged into, or connected to the board?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Bob jenkins
Associate II
Posted on October 15, 2017 at 23:14

The problem was a bad charger, which introduced a lot of noise when I was flashing my nucleo. It somehow damaged the memory, and after several unsuccessful attempts STLink Utility managed to erase memory, since then everything seems to be working.