Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons of using CubeMx

Scott Dev
Senior
Posted on April 06, 2017 at 22:56

Hi

Im just wondering what are all the Pros and Cons of using CubeMX. Im really just starting to develop for the ST32 and have the free Keil suite and been using the CubeMX. Obviously one Pro is getting a project up and running quickly using CubeMX, and good visual graphics with it. I have previosly been using Freescale processor where you are close to the processor and have total control. Can anyone give me their experience and opinions using CubeMX. Im still not decided whether to use it or not to use it, but dont want to go down one road just to change.

Many Thanks

Scott

1 REPLY 1
shingadaddy
Senior
Posted on April 06, 2017 at 23:21

I've never used it but claims here seem to state that its great for initial setup of peripherals,  clocks,  pins etc.... I didn't use it on purpose so I could force myself to get more familiar with the processors at a lower level, like I have to know it anyway. I figure I might use it later when I can appreciate (or hate) what it does...

Don't expect it to be bug free.

Don't expect any of the HAL examples to be wrinkle free either.

But ST do a pretty good job of getting it CLOSE ENOUGH (if not RIGHT ON)  that you should be able to get around okay.

Of course you have to put the glue in the middle.

JMHO.