cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMX with Eclipse for Nucleo STM32F303RE

Eric Von Hoene
Associate II
Posted on February 07, 2017 at 19:33

I have a Nucleo STM32F303RE that I'm using with the Eclipse IDE.  I've downloaded and installed the STM32CubeMX plug-in, but I have idea how to activate it to take advantage of it....

Are there any step-by-step examples that show how to make use of CubeMX in Eclipse?

Is the CubeMX plug-in compatible with the GNU ARM Eclipse tools?

Thanks!

-Eric

5 REPLIES 5
valentin
Senior
Posted on February 07, 2017 at 20:03

For a quickstart, you could just use TrueStudio instead. That's basically an eclipse IDE with all required plugins bundled up for embedded development. I'm using it and it's great so far. Only once you want to do some advanced debugging, e.g. with RTOS, there are some limitations in the free version. But it gets you pretty far and if those limitations become important, one could still change back to a self-bundled eclipse install.

At least it gets you started.

Just select truestudio project as output in CubeMX and then import that project into your workspace.

Posted on February 08, 2017 at 05:26

Well, thanks, that's one option.  But what's the process if I want to use Eclipse?

Do I need to use CubeMX outside of Eclipse and then import the files?  (But then, what's the point of the plug-in?)

How do I take advantage of the plug-in feature?

Thanks!

Max
ST Employee
Posted on February 08, 2017 at 10:02

Hello, 

to install the plugin in eclipse,

• go to the menu Help > Install New Software and then the ADD and the Archive buttons.
  • Select the eclipse plugin zip file you downloaded from ST web site (en.stsw-stm32095.zip)
  • Then check the new CubeMx Entry in the Install New Software windows then Next > Next > accept the license > Finish 
  • Eventually accept the unsigned source warning and restart eclipse.

Now to see CubeMx application inside eclipse as a persperctive you may have to go to the menu:

Window/ > Perspective > Open Perspective > Other... and then choose STM32CubeMx

This should work on any IDE base on eclipse (like True Studio, SW4STM32,  ...) 

Best regards,

Max

Posted on February 08, 2017 at 13:55

Excellent, thanks!

Opening it as a Perspective was what I was missing.  I don't think I've seen any documentation anywhere suggesting that's where it would show up, and I can't think of how frustrated I would have to be before I randomly looked there.

I see that there are a dozen or so other Perspectives....  I've used the Code and Debug ones, but I guess I still have a lot to learn about using Eclipse!

-Eric

Mark Shoe
Senior
Posted on February 08, 2017 at 17:49

Use System Workbench  a free ide and gcc compiler. Simply start new project with CubeMX select SW4STM32 as toolchain and open your project. Get SW at openstm32.org