Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lsm6ds3 Accelerometer theoretical accuracy

Glenn Monroe
Associate
Posted on February 08, 2017 at 21:16

Good afternoon,

I am trying to determine the theoretical accuracy of an angle calculated with the lsm6ds3 accelerometer.  From the spec I see there are a number of sources of inaccuracy/noise.  There is noise density that is dictated by range and sampling frequency, zero point change due to temperature and zero point accuracy.  Of these, zero point accuracy is listed as a constant value of +/- 40mg.  There is no mention of any factors that can be used to change this value for the better (e.g. lowering the range reduces the noise density).

When we determine the angle we use the arctan of two of the readings.  For the 45-degree worst case that means we would get a theoretical measurement of x = 0.707g and y = 0.707g.  If I assume worst case zero point accuracy only on both of these values (+/- 40mg), one positive and one negative, I get x = 0.747 and y = 0.667.  That gives me a calculated angle of 41.76 degrees which is an error of -3.24 degrees.  For my application this is unacceptable.

Am I correct to assume that we can calibrate the zero point accuracy out of the part after production?  How accurate should we be able to get the zero value in mg?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 REPLY 1
Mahaveer Jain_O
Associate
Posted on February 18, 2017 at 00:56

Hello Glen,

Accelerometer will have zero offset about each axis and will influence the accuracy of tilt. Typical value of zero offset is around 40 mg.  We have calibration library available to remove zero offset (

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/osxmotionac.html

) or you can correct the offset manually or doing sphere fit.