Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is I2C on STM32L4x6xx usable?

Serguei Arkhipov
Associate
Posted on March 04, 2017 at 10:53

Hi,

I am trying to understand the errata sheet for STM32L4x6xx series of MCU (DocID026121 Rev 4, December 2016).

I2C peripheral limitations section lists one of the silicon bugs as

�2.6.3 Wrong data sampling when data set-up time (tSU;DAT) is smaller than one I2CCLK period.

The I2C SDA line is not correctly sampled when tSU;DAT is smaller than one I2CCLK (I2C clock) period: the previous SDA value is sampled instead of the current one. This can result in a wrong slave address reception, a wrong received data byte, or a wrong received acknowledge bit.�

Here is the suggested workaround: 

�Increase the I2CCLK frequency to get I2CCLK period smaller than the transmitter minimum data set-up time. Or, if it is possible, increase the transmitter minimum data set-up time.� 

The I2C bus specification and user manual specify a minimum data set-up time (tSU;DAT) at: 

- 250 ns in Standard-mode

- 100 ns in Fast-mode

- 50 ns in Fast-mode Plus

Did I get it right that virtually in all cases data set-up time is indeed smaller than one clock period and this particular bug inherently affects every I2C usage?

I am a bit confused as according to workaround, even for Standard-mode the I2C clock should be increased to at least 1/250ns = 4MHz, which is well above I2C operational frequencies in any mode. This essentially makes the workaround useless.

So here is my question: Is it possible to use I2C peripheral in STM32L4x6xx at all? Or the silicon bug described makes it unusable and software bit-banging of I/O port lines is the only option to implement I2C comms in this chips?

#i2c-problem #i2c-on-stm32l4x6xx-errata-question
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on March 04, 2017 at 11:47

I2CCLK is the *input* clock of the I2C module, i.e. APB1 clock or HSI16 or SYSCLK. See 35.4.2  I2C clock requirements in RM0351 rev.4.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Posted on March 04, 2017 at 11:47

I2CCLK is the *input* clock of the I2C module, i.e. APB1 clock or HSI16 or SYSCLK. See 35.4.2  I2C clock requirements in RM0351 rev.4.

Posted on March 04, 2017 at 11:59

Thank you, just misunderstood the abbreviation. I2C SCL clock (i.e. line clock) and I2CCLK, which is the internal signal.