cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with X-CUBE-SPN2 for IHM02A1

Marshal Haupt
Associate II
Posted on December 01, 2017 at 21:47

Has anyone used the IHM02A1 and got either the project files or the pre-compiled binary and hex files to work? If so, could you please tell me if you did anything to get them to work or did they simply work out of the box? I can't get any functionality out of my motor drivers and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.

#ihma201 #x-cube-spn2 #stepper-motor #nucleo
4 REPLIES 4
Clark Sann
Senior
Posted on May 20, 2018 at 20:34

Did you ever get your board to work?

I am unable to import the example project into SW4STM32.

I am also working with trying to integrate the example program into a CubeMX project and I'm finding it to be very difficult. It is clear the SPN2 drivers and example project was generated with no regard to CubeMX. I'm new with STM so maybe CubeMX didn't exist at that time.

Whatever the reason, it sure is difficult to develop for this board. Are all boards this hard to use?

Clark

Posted on May 20, 2018 at 22:29

The CubeMX stuff is written by a robot with code muddled all over the place, the SPN2 examples use the HAL, and were written by engineers like ourselves. Why ST calls all this stuff CUBE has been debated before, much like Microsoft calling everything and the kitchen sink .NET a decade ago. Assume it is a branding exercise rather than a functional one.

I'm not sure it's impossible to get help, just that the people willing to do it for $0/hr probably is quite limited. Motor stuff might do better in the motor forum. ST likely has a list of contractors/consultants who work in this space.

The examples likely work better in IAR and Keil, ST seems to favour the former.

There is an overarching goal to get all this stuff integrated, just not sure what the time line to actually deliver that is. ST keeps adding more device families and variants, and the task seems to grow exponentially.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on May 22, 2018 at 04:19

Well, I figured out how to create a new project with STM32CubeMX, use STM32CubeMX to setup all the peripherals needed by the IHM02A1, move the required files into the project from the SPN2 driver, setup the building environment, and fix the remaining errors and warnings. It actually wasn't too hard....took me a couple days of part time head scratching. 

If anyone needs the procedure, contact me. It's too bulky to post here but it only takes about 15 minutes to perform.

I've got a brushed DC motor Nucleo board coming and I think it should be easy for me to do the same for it. 

I just finished the MOOC training on STM32MXCube...that helped me enormously. Anyone who wants to learn a lot about CubeMX and the main STM32F4xx peripherals should spend the time to take this course. 

I agree that support for System Workbench is lacking. I think ST has lost interest in it when they began looking at Atollic. As soon as they release a MacOS version, I'm switching. 

Thanks for your comments and advise. 

FMolt
Associate

Hi Clark,

I'm having problems with integrating the SPN2 into the STM32CubeMX.

I saw your offer about to lead the procedure and I think if is possible to send me this in a wetransfer or something like it.

My email is francmolto@yahoo.es

Coul'd help me please?

Thanks in advance.

Franc.