cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JPEG Compression Example

Mohammad A
Senior
Posted on August 29, 2017 at 12:09

I have an array of luminance representing a picture in grayscale. Data are captured using DCMI. I need  to compress these data using JPEG unit available in F7 series, but I can't find any application note describing JPEG unit, and also I don't know what functions I need to use to acheive this requirement.

Can anybody provide me a simple example?

#jpeg #stm32
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on August 29, 2017 at 15:35

I suspect the JPEG unit uses third-party IP, so don't expect super detailed docs on the internal mechanics. Expect just a couple of buffers, and shoveling data in/out, and a streaming paradigm.

I do remember seeing a whole slew of examples under the HAL/Cube install,

sweden

has identified a bunch above, but suspect there are also examples for the DISCO boards which are likely to be far more accessible.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Posted on August 29, 2017 at 13:00

1. Find where is located your STM32CubeMX repository by opening 'Help -> Updater settings...'

Go to STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.7.0/Projects/STM32756G_EVAL/Applications/LibJPEG in your repository to find encoder and decoder example projects

Edit:

It turns out the project above doesn't use the hardware module, but there are other examples which do:

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.7.0/Projects/STM32F769I-Discovery/Examples/JPEG/JPEG_DecodingUsingFs_DMA

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.7.0/Projects/STM32F769I_EVAL/Examples/JPEG/JPEG_DecodingFromFLASH_DMA

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.7.0/Projects/STM32F769I_EVAL/Examples/JPEG/JPEG_DecodingUsingFs_DMA

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.7.0/Projects/STM32F769I_EVAL/Examples/JPEG/JPEG_DecodingUsingFs_Interrupt

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.7.0/Projects/STM32F769I_EVAL/Examples/JPEG/JPEG_EncodingFromFLASH_DMA

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.7.0/Projects/STM32F769I_EVAL/Examples/JPEG/JPEG_EncodingUsingFs_DMA

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.7.0/Projects/STM32F769I_EVAL/Examples/JPEG/JPEG_MJPEG_VideoDecoding

Posted on August 29, 2017 at 15:35

I suspect the JPEG unit uses third-party IP, so don't expect super detailed docs on the internal mechanics. Expect just a couple of buffers, and shoveling data in/out, and a streaming paradigm.

I do remember seeing a whole slew of examples under the HAL/Cube install,

sweden

has identified a bunch above, but suspect there are also examples for the DISCO boards which are likely to be far more accessible.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..