cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why people got their answer but not mark correct

William chang
Associate III
Posted on March 08, 2018 at 04:58

First of all, Thanks for the help from community. 

I hope I could be more helpful, more healthy and strong.

I saw many questions were answered but the author don't mark correct. 

Some of the thread were many years ago.

If they had marked the answer.

It would be helpful for me and other members of the community to find the answer quick.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on March 08, 2018 at 11:36

From our side, we encourage users to mark questions as answered (

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009bMM5DSAW

).

Unfortunately, not all members are aware of this possibility.

Golab.Bogdan

‌,

Yes moderators can mark a discussion as assumed answered or a post as a correct answer. Generally, we do it when OP confirms that his issue is resolved. There is also a confusion between 'marking a discussion for action' (possible only for moderators) and marking it answered.

Sometimes, a moderator marks his action as resolved to say that he did what is required from his side. This created some confusions. This doesn't mean that the discussion is answered.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Posted on March 08, 2018 at 06:25

The forum in its current form has only be running for 14 months, the rules are not rigid and no one enforces them.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on March 08, 2018 at 07:30

I also see questions marked by someone (not the author, moderator?) as correct / answered but in reality they are not. At least one example I recall recently.

Not sure how the 'correct' is defined in this case. I do not think it's easy to deal with it because the original question is not always a question but asking for suggestion how to proceed.
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on March 08, 2018 at 10:28

Most people posting questions are not actually interested in the community - they just want to get their answer, and go away.

Hence they don't bother to find out how to mark their thread as 'solved' - let alone actually do it.

This is common across pretty much all forums/'communities' like this - it's not just here.

EDIT

and most of the people answering questions rarely ask a question,  so aren't familiar with what the forum looks like from a questioner's viewpoint - including things like how to mark a question as 'solved'

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on March 08, 2018 at 11:36

From our side, we encourage users to mark questions as answered (

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009bMM5DSAW

).

Unfortunately, not all members are aware of this possibility.

Golab.Bogdan

‌,

Yes moderators can mark a discussion as assumed answered or a post as a correct answer. Generally, we do it when OP confirms that his issue is resolved. There is also a confusion between 'marking a discussion for action' (possible only for moderators) and marking it answered.

Sometimes, a moderator marks his action as resolved to say that he did what is required from his side. This created some confusions. This doesn't mean that the discussion is answered.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on March 08, 2018 at 11:26

Yes, exactly. For me the Forum is a huge database of solutions, approaches, pieces of advises, interesting comments, etc.

Posted on March 08, 2018 at 11:46

Yes, I really appreciate moderator work. They 'glue' many posts, find similarities, so it's really important useful job.

Posted on March 08, 2018 at 11:53

What you do is also very useful. To reinforce it, you may highlight recent discussions that you consider 'answered' to moderators (For sure it will not be done for all proposals ).

Posted on March 08, 2018 at 12:17

Good idea - how do you suggest that we do that?

Posted on March 08, 2018 at 12:57

Just as an observation - other, similar company's fora have technical / SW engineers assigned full time (as it seems), which are competent to set the 'Answered' label appropriately. Especially for very specific and complex questions.

A 'Correct Answer' on a tech forum of a tech company is finally the responsibility and showpiece of said company.