cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM32 DFP support ARM Compiler 6

William chang
Associate III
Posted on March 01, 2018 at 15:13

migrate Compiler 5 -> Compiler 6 in KEIL MDK. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt6tD0ffYIk&index=2&list=PLgfqWPj3VNU-5luCbv1Y-gutHx7aNXb9p&t=0s

0690X00000609sGQAQ.png

I am using STM32F1 DFP, I install the latest one. It seems don't work with Compiler 6 now. 

So, STM32 pack vendor designers, and I right?

#dfp
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bob Boys
Senior
Posted on March 04, 2018 at 08:46

Hello

Arm Compiler 5 (AC 5) is the legacy ARM compiler that has been shipping for many years.  It will continue to be supported.

Arm Compiler 6 (AC 6) is LLVM based and as such some modifications might be needed to port from AC5.

See

http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/uv4/uv4_dg_armclang_cmp.htm

At some point in time the examples in the packs will be made for just AC6.

AC6 supports the new ArmV8-M Cortex-M23 and Cortex-M33 - not AC5.  So these examples are written for AC6.

Most versions of MDK currently ship with both AC5 and AC6.  You can select either one:  0690X00000609teQAA.png

Keil and ST do work very closely on the Packs and STM32CubeMX.

Thanks

Bob Boys

California

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Lead
Posted on March 01, 2018 at 16:12

I think you need to ask this question on the Keil forum, the device packs fall into their responsibility.

Maybe a Keil user present here knows too ...

Posted on March 01, 2018 at 17:12

I think ST and KEIL were working together on the packs and SPL vs HAL integrations etc. The F1 is rather an antiquated design, with a lot of existing (working) projects, and I'm really not sure it is going to get much priority/focus moving forward with the release of all the new parts, especially in L4+ and H7 families.

If you're working on new designs seriously consider something that isn't already 10 years old, and look at something newer with a lot of the quirks and idiosyncrasies worked out, and built on tighter process geometries.

If you do business with ST then work with your local FAE or support engineers to address any concerns with tools and road maps.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on March 02, 2018 at 04:45

I agree with Clive One, the pack should be developed by ST and ARM Keil together.

Posted on March 02, 2018 at 04:48

Newer compiler have a lot more features. Anyway, most of the code of ST library is compiler independent. It's good to have a newer compiler if I some one just use for learning, ^^, like me.

Posted on March 02, 2018 at 07:42

I agree with Clive One, the pack should be developed by ST and ARM Keil together.

I suppose that is true, but Keil has the final responsiblility, and say.

Newer compiler have a lot more features. Anyway, most of the code of ST library is compiler independent. It's good to have a newer compiler if I some one just use for learning, ^^, like me.

The problem is the MCU.

Understandably, ST puts much less work in old silicon when it comes to new toolchains and libraries.

The latest and most sold chips come first ...

Bob Boys
Senior
Posted on March 04, 2018 at 08:46

Hello

Arm Compiler 5 (AC 5) is the legacy ARM compiler that has been shipping for many years.  It will continue to be supported.

Arm Compiler 6 (AC 6) is LLVM based and as such some modifications might be needed to port from AC5.

See

http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/uv4/uv4_dg_armclang_cmp.htm

At some point in time the examples in the packs will be made for just AC6.

AC6 supports the new ArmV8-M Cortex-M23 and Cortex-M33 - not AC5.  So these examples are written for AC6.

Most versions of MDK currently ship with both AC5 and AC6.  You can select either one:  0690X00000609teQAA.png

Keil and ST do work very closely on the Packs and STM32CubeMX.

Thanks

Bob Boys

California

Posted on March 05, 2018 at 10:10

Clive One wrote:

... The F1 is rather an antiquated design, with a lot of existing (working) projects, and I'm really not sure it is going to get much priority/focus moving forward with the release of all the new parts, especially in L4+ and H7 families.

Yeah, and the beginners and hobbyists are doing wonders with F1 at maximum speed - that is the real problem for the others... If there is an Arduino like success in the ST world, then that is F1, and the STM Nucleo F1 based is not there to help.