ST Link v2 Virtual Com Port Driver not working on Windows 10

Nassimus Moualek
Associate II
Posted on May 10, 2017 at 23:40

The driver 

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stsw-link009.html

creates only the a USB serial port as shown here :

0690X00000603pkQAA.jpg

So i try to add the Virtual Port Com Manually with the action ''add an old generation device'' in the Device Manager

0690X00000603n1QAA.jpg

I try to install the STMicroelectronics\STM32 ST-LINK Utility\ST-LINK_USB_V2_1_Driver\stlink_VCP.inf

or the STMicroelectronics\Software\Virtual COM Port Driver

or the STMicroelectronics\Software\Virtual comport driver\Win8

Even after removing one by one, and reinstalling one at times, no one is working

I try all the possiblities listed in many chats or forums

I also attach the USBView devices listing

Is there a new update for the 1.4.1 VCP Driver for windows 10 ?

#virtual-comport-stm32 #windows10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cedric LECOUTRE
ST Employee

Posted on May 24, 2017 at 18:47

Hi

Moualek.Nassim

In Windows 10, USB driver has been reworked and there is no need for Virtual COM driver to be installed. It works natively when you plug-in a device. But according to Microsoft documentation, you need to set device USB class and subclass ID to 0x2 (see

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn707976(v=vs.85).aspx

).

This should be fixed in the HAL/CubeMX examples.

Best regards,

Cedric

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Cedric LECOUTRE
ST Employee

Posted on May 24, 2017 at 18:47

Hi

Moualek.Nassim

In Windows 10, USB driver has been reworked and there is no need for Virtual COM driver to be installed. It works natively when you plug-in a device. But according to Microsoft documentation, you need to set device USB class and subclass ID to 0x2 (see

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn707976(v=vs.85).aspx

).

This should be fixed in the HAL/CubeMX examples.

Best regards,

Cedric

Posted on May 24, 2017 at 19:21

Hi, thank you to add me to this conversation, and thank you for your answer but i really nead a virtual com port to use :

1_ The Arduino IDE (screen shoot is attached) 2_ The Clean Flight OSD (screen shoot is attached) for filght contollers

And i cant modify your driver because it must be signed.

For now the stlink v2 is completely unuseful for me, i just can upload firmware to my micro-controller or debug it thats all.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 24, 2017 at 19:25

I mean i cant for exemple read the data throw the serial device in Arduino IDE, or connect to a drone throw the Clean Flight Osd app.

Posted on May 24, 2017 at 19:28

Hello,

In CubeMX generated code, the bDeviceClass and bDeviceSubClass parameters are set to 0x02 (which is aligned with Microsoft documentation).

We start to fix examples provided in the Cube package. It is already done for STM32CubeF4 (V1.16.0).

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on May 24, 2017 at 19:32

Could you please give me all the steps to do to be able to connect the Arduino to a valid Com Port please ? it would be perfect, because even if i changes this values and reflach the micro-controller not sure that the Arduino IDE will detect the Com Port given that its not listed on the Device Manager, am i correct ?

Posted on May 24, 2017 at 19:52

Please consider that i am not an expert, i search in google about setting the bDeviceClass ans bDeviceSubClass in cubemx, and didn't find some thing, so please give us all the steps to have a valid working COM port.

Posted on May 24, 2017 at 23:34

Ok i think i got my real problem, i was trying to get the Virtual Com Port Working throw the St-Link v2, but when i plug another Usb cable usb to the USB of the stm32c8t6 borad the Virtual Com Port apears !

hi, I have similar problem. have you found the solution?