Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 MCUs and Configurable Custom Logic Peripheral

memet dolatshahi
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2017 at 15:48

Hi

There are some MCUs from several microcontroller manufacturer that they have one or several Peripheral called Configurable Custom logic. by using this peripheral you can implement some glue logics design without needing to use of external discrete logics outside of the MCU this peripheral can act such a little CPLD but placed inside of the MCU.

below MCUs, for example, have such custom logic unit:

Atmel, XMEGA E with XCL (XMEGA Custom logic) unit

Atmel, SAM L with CCL (Configurable Custom Logic) unit

Microchip, PIC series 16F and 10F with CLC (Configurable Logic Cell) unit

Cypress, PSoC Families

Silicon Lab, EFM8LB and EFM8BB families with CLU (Configurable Logic Unit) Unit

so, are there any similar capabilities or peripheral exist or will be planed to place in STM32 MCUs different families?

6 REPLIES 6
AVI-crak
Senior
Posted on May 30, 2017 at 18:40

Somewhere the world the next developer with an open Altium Designer package uses foul language.

Uses the most perfect abusive words, damning engineers of st and all their relatives.

Why the peripheral device can't have contacts on one party of the chip?

This personal.
Posted on May 30, 2017 at 22:03

Dude!!! what are you talking about!!!?

Posted on May 31, 2017 at 10:33

About a software package of Designer Altium.

To have the logic programmed by the user on a crystal - not the most important and necessary function.

But existence of a complete matrix of switching of contacts of a crystal - need. Now use of alternative functions - not full, is the free options. Assignment of number of contact (a letter of port and digit) - has no ascending sort order. Chaos of assignments grows with the number of contacts. Crystals with a large number of contacts have the maximum dispersion.

It is heritage.

By development of a crystal package of logical structures is executed by automatic machine. As a result the minimum cost of a crystal which is very difficult for parting on the printed circuit board without overlap of conductors turns out.

The cost of the printed circuit board on 2 layers - is 6 times less than the cost of the printed circuit board on 4 layers. (non-repeat order)

Cypress PSoC chips - as a sample of the maximum compatibility. Printed circuit boards with these chips can be executed on a one-sided getinaks.

Posted on May 31, 2017 at 10:41

Once again, the meaning got partially lost in google-translation.

However, ST would heavily advertise such a 'feature', if they had.

Perhaps you can contact them (ST) directly, and they implement a CL-cell or your desired peripheral in a MCU - given an order of proper magnitude ...

Atmel (R.I.P.) promised so to one of my former companies.

Posted on May 31, 2017 at 21:04

I can not pay for the design of a new crystal, it's too expensive for me.

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 08:25

Talking about a guaranteed purchase of  > 100.000 parts per year...

Not really an option for hobbyists.