cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug Report: HAL_Init() function Fails to initialize systick timer correctly.

Ehsan Nayeri
Associate II
Posted on September 26, 2017 at 15:20

This function which is called at the entry of Main() function(Code generated by cubeMX) can not initialize systick timer to create 1ms time intervals correctly. As a result if functions which are called after HAL_Init() use HAL_GetTick() for delay or wait purposes fail to work as programmer expect.

It is true until SystemClock_Config() function  (which itself trust on HAL_GetTick()  for some initializations wait time)  modify systick timer.

The reason is that for initialization of systick timer HAL_InitTick() function use the value of �SystemCoreClock� variable which is not updated yet.

#systick-timer #hal_init
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on September 26, 2017 at 15:39

Hello!

Inside system_stm32xxxx.c there is the definition of SystemCoreClock variable which takes the value of the default core clock frequency after power on (HSI , MSI ...)

This value of SystemCoreClock used to initialize the SysTick inside

HAL_Init()  function.

SystemClock_Config()  reinitializes the SysTick with the updated value of SystemCoreClock .

Regards

vf

Posted on September 27, 2017 at 10:36

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Actually I meant to say that the initialization of “SystemCoreClock�? is wrong.

In the era of SPL(standard package library, which I still prefer in some aspects mainly for its comprehensive examples ) the initialization of system clock was the duty of “SystemInit()�? function which is defined in “system_stm32xxxx.c�? and called at startup before coming to main function(for example line 150 in startup_stm32f10x_hd.s). So, At the entry of main function system clock was truly initialized base on one of the following defines in “system_stm32xxxx.c�?:

#if defined (STM32F10X_LD_VL) || (defined STM32F10X_MD_VL) || (defined STM32F10X_HD_VL)
/* #define SYSCLK_FREQ_HSE HSE_VALUE */
 #define SYSCLK_FREQ_24MHz 24000000
#else
/* #define SYSCLK_FREQ_HSE HSE_VALUE */
/* #define SYSCLK_FREQ_24MHz 24000000 */ 
/* #define SYSCLK_FREQ_36MHz 36000000 */
/* #define SYSCLK_FREQ_48MHz 48000000 */
/* #define SYSCLK_FREQ_56MHz 56000000 */
#define SYSCLK_FREQ_72MHz 72000000
#endif
�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?

and then:

#ifdef SYSCLK_FREQ_HSE
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = SYSCLK_FREQ_HSE; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#elif defined SYSCLK_FREQ_24MHz
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = SYSCLK_FREQ_24MHz; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#elif defined SYSCLK_FREQ_36MHz
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = SYSCLK_FREQ_36MHz; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#elif defined SYSCLK_FREQ_48MHz
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = SYSCLK_FREQ_48MHz; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#elif defined SYSCLK_FREQ_56MHz
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = SYSCLK_FREQ_56MHz; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#elif defined SYSCLK_FREQ_72MHz
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = SYSCLK_FREQ_72MHz; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#else /*!< HSI Selected as System Clock source */
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = HSI_VALUE; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#endif
�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?�?

While in new version of “system_stm32xxxx.c�? (one which is used in CubeMX) the above

definitions are truncated to :

#if defined(STM32F100xB) ||defined(STM32F100xE)
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = 24000000; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#else /*!< HSI Selected as System Clock source */
 uint32_t SystemCoreClock = 72000000; /*!< System Clock Frequency (Core Clock) */
#endif
�?�?�?�?�?

As a result at startup that system clock is HSI (8 MHz) and no setting is done inside “SystemInit()�? (absence of “SetSysClock()�? function) the clock is wrongly assumed as 72MHz.

Posted on September 27, 2017 at 14:14

Hello again.

Actually  I meant to say that the initialization of  ?SystemCoreClock? is wrong.

For sure i agree with you about this for F1 firmware used in CubeMx

Also my yesterday's answer concerned  L1 and F4 families that have the correct HSI , MSI values.

0690X00000608LHQAY.png

The conclusion is

The values inside file system_stm32f1xx.c must be revised from ST team , to have correct generated code by CubeMx.

0690X00000608OZQAY.png

Regards

vf.

Posted on September 27, 2017 at 14:16

Hello

Nayeri.Ehsan

Thank you for your reported issue. I will raise this internally to developer team to fix it in coming releases.

Best Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen