Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubles flashing software on STM32f107VCT6 using FlashLoader Demonstrator

Alexandre Boyadjian
Associate II
Posted on June 21, 2017 at 12:47

Hello, 

I'm working with a proprietary board using a stm32f107 and I would like to flash my soft into the ship by using RS232. To do that I have a RS232 connector which can be connected to USB and then I can collect Rx,Tx and GND from the DB9 connector. 

My trouble is when i'm trying to flash my soft with Flash Loader Demonstrator, I'm receiving this error : 'No response from the target, the Boot loader can not be started. Please, verify the boot mode configuration and the flash protection status, Reset your device then try again...'.

I connected the Rx and Tx from the DB9 to the Tx and Rx of the stm32f107 (Rx->Tx, Tx->Rx), all my power supplies seems good and I did put the BOOT0 pin to GND to enter in the boot mode. I even try on an other board in case the first one was defective.

Please does someone have an idea about how to solve the problem ? Did I missed a configuration ? It should be easy to flash a soft on this board, maybe I just miss read something.

Regards.

#the-boot-loader-can-not-be-started #no-response-from-the-target #flash-loader-demonstrator #stm32 #bootloader #stm32f107
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bbee
Associate III
Posted on June 22, 2017 at 10:33

Hi.

Do you connect to the correct port? According to AN2606 the bootloader only works on USART1 and 2. You should also check that you apply the correct pattern to activate the bootloader (see AN2606) which is Boot0 = 1 and Boot1 = 0 for the STM32F107.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Tuttle.Darrell
Associate II
Posted on June 21, 2017 at 13:28

Have you used the PC comport with any other application prior to running

Flash Loader Demonstrator (since the last boot)? If so, did it use any form of handshaking (hardware or software)? There has been a problem with

Flash Loader Demonstrator in that it's configuration of the DCB for no handshaking is (was?) incomplete. I reported this in another thread, but ST never commented andI don't know if they corrected it or not. If this is the problem, a workaround is to open the comport with another application (possibly a terminal program such as TeraTerm) and configure it for no handshaking, then close that application, then runFlash Loader Demonstrator.

Note to ST: The incomplete DCB configuration for no handshaking (FlowControl == false ... actually within an 'else') is in the file 'rscpp' in the functionCRS232::open(). There is more to it than just configuring fDtrControl and fRtsControl to FALSE (see my comments in

https://community.st.com/thread/34392-problems-with-stmflashloader-demo

for more details on the fix). After fixing, you should test by running a terminal program and configuring for hardware flow control, then close and run

Flash Loader Demonstrator. Then run the same test for software flow control. Another suggestion, display the version number from within the program on the first window prior to making the serial connection. I don't think the software version is displayed anywhere within the program.

Posted on June 21, 2017 at 14:00

I've just tried to reboot my computer without any device plug in and I still receive the error message. However how can I disable the handshaking with a terminal ?

When I tried to flash the soft on the board I can see something on the Rx of the STM32f107 but nothing is getting out from the Tx of the ship. So I checked with Hyperterminal that the data are correctly send by putting a jumper on tx and rx and I correctly receive the message that I'm sending.

I'm starting to think that the stm32f107 does'not understant what it receive on its Rx or that the boot mode is not set correctly.

Thank you for your answer.

Posted on June 21, 2017 at 14:09

'

However how can I disable the handshaking with a terminal ?'

I was referring to using whatever serial port configuration menu is present in the terminal program.

If you did a fresh reboot and then run 

Flash Loader Demonstrator, the Windows DCB should default to no handshaking, so if you still have a problem then I don't think it is the problem I described.

bbee
Associate III
Posted on June 22, 2017 at 10:33

Hi.

Do you connect to the correct port? According to AN2606 the bootloader only works on USART1 and 2. You should also check that you apply the correct pattern to activate the bootloader (see AN2606) which is Boot0 = 1 and Boot1 = 0 for the STM32F107.

Posted on June 22, 2017 at 11:33

Hi, this was my mistake. I figure out later yersterday that I watched the wrong datasheet. To launch bootloader with stm32f107 we must set boot0 to 1 and boot1 to 0. 

Thank you for your reply, I can now flash the board. 

Problem solved.