Associate II
Posted on October 20, 2017 at 00:08

Hello,

Recently i plan to buy stm32f4 discovery board,

This stuff are important for me:

1-CAN network implementation

2-Ethernet

3-LCD

When search on STM32F429-DISCO i does not see any CAN example on it,and all of CAN1,CAN2 pins are occupied,

the other option is STM32F4-DISCO but this one does not have LCD and its good for audio purpose i think.

Therefor wich of these two boards you recommend me(STM32F4-

Discovery 

vs. STM32F429-Discovery)?

#stm32discovery #can #stm32f429-discovery
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on October 20, 2017 at 01:52

The F429-DISCO will be almost entirely useless as the SDRAM and LCD eat all available pins.

Look at the NUCLEO-F429, it has Ethernet and available pins. Review the schematics to understand the circuits and interfaces there.

For CAN and the like you'll need to port code from the EVAL series boards.

You can plug the F407-DISCO into a mother board, ones are available with Ethernet, Serial, etc, I've seen others with CAN. Or you can look for something like the RedDragon-F407 board that has LCD, Ethernet, Serial and CAN

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on October 20, 2017 at 10:32

Hello Clive,

Thank you for your reply.

So you suggest me to use

F4-DISCO

discovery,

currently the 

F429-DISCO and 

F4-DISCO are available for me.

1-is it possible not to use SDRAM on

F429-DISCO to use CAN ?

Regards

Dnesh Sadat
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2017 at 12:00

Does anyone setting up CAN network on STM32F4-DISCO or STM32F429-DISCO?

Posted on October 21, 2017 at 16:58

You're asking the wrong question. There are examples on the forum dealing with CAN on the F2 or F4 platforms, these are directly applicable to your problem. The EVAL series boards, and others, have CAN implemented and these exact same circuits will need to be added to the STM32F4-DISCO boards, likely using the exact same pins, the choices are pretty finite.

For the STM32F4-DISCO the following breakout board has CAN support

https://www.banggood.com/STM32F4Discovery-SOM407-BB-Expansion-Board-3_2-Inch-LCD-SD-Card-CAN-p-934380.html

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on October 21, 2017 at 17:02

I would choose the F4-DISCO based on my understanding of the platform, yes.

>>I

s it possible not to use SDRAM on

F429-DISCO to use CAN?

Perhaps, feel free to experiment with your own boards. Go over the pin list in the user manual and make sure it frees up the pins you need, and doesn't limit your display or frame buffer choices for the LCD. You might need to remove the chip if you have pin conflicts.

Posted on October 21, 2017 at 17:26

Hello Dnesh Sadat,

Let me also add here some information, which maybe will be helpful to you.

Regarding STM32F4 board with features, which you listed (CAN, Ethernet, LCD), this board comes to my mind:

http://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32f4dis-ext.html

. This is in fact extension board for STM32F4 Discovery kit. If allows you to play with LCD and Ethernet. There is no CAN, however you can evaluate CAN in loopback mode without any external circuitry and if you would need a real CAN network, then you just simply need to use one additional IC, which is a CAN transceiver.

Regarding example applications for CAN connectivity, I would suggest to look inside

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32cubef4.html

package. In Examples folder you will find such applications.

Regards

Szymon