Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFT Display using NUCLEO-F746ZG

Ray Mendoza
Associate II
Posted on May 31, 2017 at 18:23

Hello!

I am a beginner using the the NUCLEO-F746ZG to drive a 4.3' Newhaven TFT display that has a capacitive touch panel controller.

The parts are shown below:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/NUCLEO-F746ZG/497-16282-ND/5806779

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=NHD-4.3-480272EF-ATXL%23-CTP

I was wondering if there is an example test code to see if the connections I made between the display and the nucleo are correct? I made my connections based on pins that can use the LTDC interface as an alternate function.

More info: I wish to pull images from an SD card. Certain pictures will be displayed depending on where the the user presses on the screen.

Thank you for the help!

#tft-lcd #stm32f7 #stm32 #lcd #touch
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on June 01, 2017 at 20:09

So then check out the schematics for the 746G-disco, and sort out what you have to do.

Should be fairly straight forward, unless the software is what is giving you headaches.

In that case, you can run a free trial with both Raisonance and Atollic, and if your barrier is

software, test the Atollic free system with their free 746G download, make a few changes

to get to the nucleo, and see what happens. If you do the schematic check, it should go

pretty easy. I moved the 746G download over to Raisonance, since I already had purchased

a Raisonance system which I had in operation, with serial I/O, analog inputs, and digital I/O.

That worked for me.

Dan

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Dan Mackie
Senior
Posted on June 01, 2017 at 13:25

We made an interface board with a 0.5 mm spacing connector to plug in the 7' Newhaven display to the 746gdisco. It has a cutout so that board can be soldered to the 0.8 mm pads on the bottom of the 746gdisco. We also added an interface board with power to drive the back light,  and provide rs232 drivers. Only needed to change 480x272 to 800x480 in one place in software.

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 18:27

Hey Dan,

Thank you for the reply. But isn't the pinout different on the 746gdisco? I'm wondering how to use the LTDC interface on Nucleo-f746zg to drive the display because we plan on using the specific board package on the nucleo board. I'm guessing in order to test I would have to develop a my own header files and c files for the display and the capacitive controller since it is not provided right? I'm mainly looking for some hints as to where I should go.

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 18:38

I started with an Atollic download of a baseline for the 746zg on the disco board. Should be just a case of making your interface take the right pins from the 746 to the lcd. I use Raisonance for my devsys. I have used Atollic but prefer Raisonance so far.  A 746zg on a nucleo or a disco board should be identical I expect. Watch your lcd power.  We have some software running on the Nucleo 144 using the 429,But have not tried 746 nucleo. If you want help beyond that, how would you like it to work? What is the goal?Dan

Sent from my Samsung device

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 18:54

Okay! In reference to how it should work, the controller and the screen should work together similar to a screen on a tablet. The end goal, in relevance to this question, is to develop a tablet like device that has touch screen capabilities. Also a quick question, have about keil uvision? It's just that I'm learning how to use this right now.

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 19:20

Do you have hardware design capability, to interface the Nucleo to a board which will interface to the display, or do you want to purchase such a board?

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 19:47

I won’t be much help with Keil, as I have not used it. As far as tablet operation is concerned, I have tested both pixel line drawing graphics and text output to the displays, and that works fine.

Dan

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 19:49

Hey Dan!

Are you asking if we will make our own design? If so, we have the capability to design and create our own board.

We want to verify the connections we make on the Nucleo by testing it with an TFT LCD so we can use the same design when we begin creating our own board.

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 20:09

So then check out the schematics for the 746G-disco, and sort out what you have to do.

Should be fairly straight forward, unless the software is what is giving you headaches.

In that case, you can run a free trial with both Raisonance and Atollic, and if your barrier is

software, test the Atollic free system with their free 746G download, make a few changes

to get to the nucleo, and see what happens. If you do the schematic check, it should go

pretty easy. I moved the 746G download over to Raisonance, since I already had purchased

a Raisonance system which I had in operation, with serial I/O, analog inputs, and digital I/O.

That worked for me.

Dan

Posted on June 01, 2017 at 20:13

Hey Dan!

Okay! Thank you for the response. I will give a shot this week! I will be sure to let you know if what happens or if I have any questions!