cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

guidance for getting started on STM32 for designing USB Boot-loader

Fehan Arif
Associate II
Posted on May 29, 2017 at 23:05

I am totally new to STM32. I need to design a USB bootloader for a product. I have download STM32CUBEMX, but still not being able to fully grasp the STM32 working. 

I would like to get help on following points. 

1. Getting started guideline: Where are the documentation of APIs used in the CubeMux? 

2. There is a DFU application note, but I could not find the Firmware that actually runs on the STM32 micro to perform bootloader update. 

I will be very grateful for an urgent answer

4 REPLIES 4
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on May 30, 2017 at 10:13

Hi

fehanarif

Welcome to STM32 community

if I suppose that you use the STM32F429 product so:

1. Getting started guideline: Where are the documentation of APIs used in the CubeMux?

A set of user manuals is provided under this link :

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcus-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32cube-embedded-software/stm32cubef4.html

toget started with the STM32CubeF4 firmware package

0690X000006079TQAQ.png

2. There is a DFU application note, but I could not find the Firmware that actually runs on the STM32 micro to perform bootloader update.

• STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.0\Projects\STM324x9I_EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\DFU_Standalone :This is a typical application on how to use the STM32F4xx USB OTG Device peripheral to implement the DFU capability for programming the embedded flash memory of the STM32F4xx devices.

-Nesrine-

Posted on May 30, 2017 at 21:22

Waoo, that is great. 

I am facing one more problem now. I have been able to run DFU program on the STM32F7 Discovery board. But I need to write DFU bootloader for the STM32F446RE controller. For this, I tried to run STM32F746G_Discovery kit's  DFU_Standalone program, but it does not show up in DFU Mode like STM32F7 discovery kits show up. Also, I have the Discovery STM32F407 kit, but I face the same issue on it.

That means I am missing something here as well. Can you please help me in this regard. Do I need to change existing firmware? If yes, how and what part?  

Posted on May 30, 2017 at 22:06

Most of the USB centric STM32 support a DFU mode out of the System ROM (BOOT0 = High, Reset)

The 

Discovery STM32F407 kit should have this DFU mode, but requires connectivity to the micro USB connector rather than the ST-LINK mini one.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on May 31, 2017 at 19:56

I found the fix. My previous attempt to run the DUF mode application was configured to be build using USB_HS option. I selected USB_FS option and it started working fine.