Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot compile to STM32F469I

Andreas Achilleos
Associate II
Posted on June 03, 2017 at 16:50

Hello,

I try to install drivers for the above module but the widow says'no mbed microcontrollers found' I can see in the device manager'ST link debug' & 'ST link VPC ctrl' , 

When I connect the STM module to my PC is being recognise somehow and opens an autoplay window that prompts me to open file to view content.

HOWEVER when I try to compile to the module the blinky example  , it just downloads a . bin file to my PC. Can you please advise?

EDIT> I understand now that I have to copy the bin to the module directly. What about the device manager? How can I install the drivers?

Thank you

Best  Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on June 03, 2017 at 21:04

The STM32F469I-DISCO ? Not clear what version of Windows you are using.

Installing the ST-LINK Utilities should pull the drivers in, and also allow you to update the ST-LINK firmware to current version.

I'd generally use the utilities to write .BIN and .HEX files to the processor, over the mass-storage controller method.

The ST-LINK drivers should support the MSC and VCP out-of-the-box.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 03, 2017 at 21:21

Thank you for the reply,

I use windows 7, when I run the update utility it says  no ST link device detected.

Mean while when I download the utility it says that is the NUcleo utility but I want to update the Discovery.

Can you please explain me where do I find the utility to write the bin files?

Thank you

Posted on June 03, 2017 at 22:38

The utilities are agnostic, it doesn't care if the ST-LINK chip is on a DISCO, NUCLEO, or stand-alone adapter, they ALL function in materially the same way. The mbed variant initially shipped on NUCLEO boards but is now on most of the DISCO boards too.

If the utilities can't find the board it might be open/connected in some other app, or need to be reset so it is in update mode rather than debugger mode.

The utilities allow you to load a .HEX or .BIN, connect via the ST-LINK and program the target STM32 processor.

Tool chains like Keil and IAR integrate ST-LINK support allowing for a direct build and download into the target.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 05, 2017 at 09:48

Hello,

I have managed to update the firmware but first I installed the USB windows drivers!

Is there a way to again load in the module the preinstalled example interface?

Thank you