Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accuracy FlightSense

florian kurtz
Associate
Posted on June 02, 2017 at 11:05

Hi everyone !

I'm working on the flightsense sensor thanks to the expansion  board X-Nucleo-6180XA1 and a satellite on a STM32F401RE. And I have some questions :

I would like to know the accuracy of the sensor ?

Also, I want to use it to determine a distance between the sensor and a target. 

I have implemented the example code and adapted it to my situation. I would like to measure the distance with at least 0.5mm of precision. But the sensor send only the result in millimeter by the I²C bus .

Is it possible to have a more accurate measure ?

Finally, I work on STM32F103 thanks to the SPL library and not with the HAL library. I tried to implement a code but unsuccessful ...

Do you have an example with this library ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Florian

3 REPLIES 3
Dominique LOYER
Associate III
Posted on June 06, 2017 at 11:44

Hello Florian,

This device cannot support a real sub-millimeter accuracy. You need the VL53L0X for that, and at least 200ms of timing budget to let the device converge to such high accuracy.

This VL53L0X is only controlled via an API with example of code for STM32F401 using the HAL for I2C management.

Regards

DL

Posted on June 06, 2017 at 14:03

Hello Dominique,

Thank you for your reply !

I think that the VL53L0X will not correspond to our criterias because we would like to measure short distance (maximum 10cm) and not long distance.

Regards

Florian

Posted on June 07, 2017 at 14:30

Hello Florian,

Indeed, the VL53L0X is designed for longer distance than VL6180X. But if your minimum distance is 5cm, it is working well.

Best Regards

Dominique