cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any dual Ethernet Phy's like the LAN9303 that work with the STM32 chips?

John Vickers
Associate
Posted on June 04, 2017 at 15:15

I have been using PIC32 microcontrollers but am looking at switching to the STMicro line of microcontrollers. One thing that Microchip has that is really nice for industrial products is an external PHY chip with a built in 3 port 10/100 switch. This allows 1 port to connect to the microcontroller and have 2 ports to connect to magnetic jacks, allowing you to daisychain devices. This can be seen here:

http://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=ac320004-4

I just wanted to know if anyone knows of anything similar that can be done with the STMicro products out of the box. A driver should be possible to use the Microchip PHY with the STMicro parts, but I have not seen any direct drivers for them.

This is a key feature for me when developing industrial devices, so I want to make sure I can make this work before switching platforms. Everything else I do on Microchip devices looks like it can be done easily enough, so this would be the main hurdle for me.

Thanks,

John Vickers

#rmii #ethernet #switch
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on August 07, 2017 at 13:02

Hi John,

I am facing exactly the same problem right now. Did you find any solutions?

Best,

Nikos

John Vickers
Associate
Posted on August 10, 2017 at 12:37

Unfortunately not. I never even got a response to a support ticket I put in on this issue as well. It is really too bad because this is a key feature for industrial devices and Microchip has a drop in solution with demo boards that just work. ST has much better specs on their processors, but if the software doesn't back it up, it is going to be hard to make the switch.

John Vickers