Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L4 FMC Latched SRAM

Gabriel Roux
Associate
Posted on June 09, 2017 at 08:41

Hi All,

I am currently working on migrating a system from a EFM32 ARM Cortex-M3 to the STM32L476VGT ARM Cortex-M4. In the current hardware implementation, the processor is connected to asynchronous SRAM via an FPGA  that acts as an address latch (among other things). The following is an excerpt from the EBI (The external memory controller on the EFM32 Gecko chips) application notes explaining the workings of the current SRAM hardware connection.

'The data bus width of the EFM32 EBI is 16 bits. When multiplexing the address and data bus, these 16 signal lines are first used for putting out the least significant 16 bits of the address, which are then held by the external address latch. Then these 16 signal lines are either used for 16 bits of data, or 8 bits of data and the remaining 8 bits of the address. See Figure 2.1 (p. 5) for an overview of the signals and address latch needed for multiplexed operation. The rest of the control signals are the same as in the non-multiplexed operation example' (Figure 2.1 is attached)

Control signals used are Read Enable, Write Enable and Address Latch Enable. 1MBs data is read in, in 8 bit mode.

Would it be possible to implement this asynchronous, latched SRAM by using the STM32L476VGTs FMC in multiplexed mode?Also, from the reference manual I can't determine whether or not SRAM can be used in multiplexed mode on this chip, it seems that the FMC only allows that for PSRAM?

I noticed that pin A17 can be used as an ALE pin in the case of NAND flash memory, is it per chance possible to use this as an ALE pin for controlling SRAM as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#fmc #stm32-fmc-sram #stm32l4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on June 11, 2017 at 17:53

Roughly, the multiplexed modes of FMC can be used for what you intend, but you have to check out the details. For example, it does not implement the 'split data/address' mode, i.e. after the high address is latched, data are transmitted on the whole multiplexed portion of the bus and the high part of address is always separate.

If the signals' sequencing and timing matches your requirements, then it does not matter whether it's called PSRAM or SRAM.

A17 is ALE only for the NAND mode. You have to use the FMC_NL pin as the address latch.

JW

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Posted on June 11, 2017 at 17:53

Roughly, the multiplexed modes of FMC can be used for what you intend, but you have to check out the details. For example, it does not implement the 'split data/address' mode, i.e. after the high address is latched, data are transmitted on the whole multiplexed portion of the bus and the high part of address is always separate.

If the signals' sequencing and timing matches your requirements, then it does not matter whether it's called PSRAM or SRAM.

A17 is ALE only for the NAND mode. You have to use the FMC_NL pin as the address latch.

JW

Posted on June 23, 2017 at 10:58

Hi, thanks for the reply.

After some minor modifications I managed to get the SRAM to work by adding the extra address lines and triggering the address latch on the FMC_NL rising edge. 

Regards,

GJR