Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Happened during while() loop?

Lingjun Kong
Associate III
Posted on August 30, 2017 at 13:05

I recently noticed a strange case on STM32F7

I measure the execution time of this function by clock cycles. which is just a simple while loop.

void LK_ADDr(float

*im, float *meanParameter, int

Size

)

{

while (Size--)

{

*im = *im + *meanParameter;

im++;

meanParameter++;

}

}

the execution time shouldintuitively has a linear relationship with the Size.

but in test, I've found that it is the square of the Size. The R is eventually equalto 1.

0690X0000060813QAA.png

I test the function 10K times for every Size number. And got the average execution time for every Size value. So I'm sure the result I got is correct.

in the trend function, the real constant 28can be explained. which denotes the clock cycles cost by the function, push and pop stack and the parameters loading.

the linear coefficient 5.63 is also explainable, which denotes the clock cycles cost by every loop.

I don't know what's the meaning of the quadratic coefficient.

And then I increase the number of size. the quadratic coefficient close to zero the it looks become a linear curve.

0690X000006084eQAA.png

But the quadratic coefficient increased from 5 to 7. Does that means the time cost for every loop, increase with the increasing of the size?

I draw a curve for the quadratic coefficient.

0690X000006084jQAA.png

the Y axis means, when I draw the trend curve for the first several points in the first picture, the quadratic coefficient of the trend curve.

it looks interesting. It not due to the FPU because I test the function again but random int data.

so which is not caused by the data too.

I think it may caused by the branch predictor. But the hit rate of branch predictor should over 95%, in this curve, the largest loop time cost has double the smallest one. if it is caused by the branch predictor, it may not a good predictor.

Why the average loop time changed so intensely?

keil arm stm32f7 c jump-bootloader-branch-bx-r0 arm-cortex-m4-cortex-m7-register arm-cortex-m stm32-f

5 REPLIES 5
S.Ma
Principal
Posted on August 30, 2017 at 14:40

Have you disabled the interrupts before calling the function? (systick, etc...)

How about the program and data cache?

Danish1
Lead II
Posted on August 30, 2017 at 14:50

Stm32f7 is not a 'simple' processor. There is a cache for reading data. And a buffer for writing-back modified data to memory.

Small data-sets that fit entirely in the cache and buffer will execute more quickly than larger data-sets where the processor has to access slow external memory. The first few writes will seem to take no time at all as the buffer fills up, but subsequent writes can only be made at the speed at which writing back is achieved.

I think this is what leads to your 'bigger-than-trivial data-sets take longer to execute' effect.

But you might claim that the main RAM is single-cycle access. How can access to that RAM be slow?

It might be slow because all your program-fetches also have to come over that same interface e.g. if the data is not in DTCM and the program is not executing from ITCM or ITCM-FLASH. Or if meanParameter happens to be in FLASH.

And if your RAM is external to the microcontroller (e.g. SDRAM) then it will be slow as well.

Also don't forget that stm32f7 is dual-issue, so it can execute two instructions per cycle*, and each one might cause a write to external memory. But it can only write one word per cycle. So even where you're writing to the fastest memory the processor can make data faster than it can write.

*Only one of them can be floating-point I think.

Hope this helps,

Danish

Posted on August 30, 2017 at 14:45

Only a systick interrupt is here. but i don't think it will affect the result. How the data cache influences the result?

Posted on August 30, 2017 at 15:30

Thanks for your reply, Firstly for the cache, I know it takes less time before the cache is full. But according to My test, the fastest loop is not the first several loop but around 200. See

0690X000006084tQAA.png

in the first several points, it is very slowly for every loop.

I'm using the build-in SRAM and all the data has also saved in the SRAM (import before this function)

So there is no extra-component will affect the measurement.

STM32F7 is a dual-issued core but for this function, there is less instruction it can dual-issue. ,

here is the instruction for the loop, Load 2 data and ADD, store back and Sub the size, branch. only STM and SUBS can be dual-issued I think. the only thing can affect the time for every loop is the BCS insturciotn

0x080021A2 E003 ,  , ,  ,B ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , 0x080021AC

,  , 85: ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,*im = *im + *meanParameter,

,  , 86: ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,im++,

,  , 87: ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,meanParameter++,

,  , 88: ,  , ,  , ,  ,}

,  , 89: , ,

0x080021A4 CA10 ,  , ,  ,LDM ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,r2!,{r4}

0x080021A6 6803 ,  , ,  ,LDR ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,r3,[r0, ♯ 0x00]

0x080021A8 4423 ,  , ,  ,ADD ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,r3,r3,r4

0x080021AA C008 ,  , ,  ,STM ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,r0!,{r3}

0x080021AC 1E49 ,  , ,  ,SUBS ,  , ,  , ,  , r1,r1, ♯ 1

,  , 83: ,  , ,  , ,  ,while (Size--)

,  , 84: ,  , ,  , ,  ,{

,  , 85: ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,*im = *im + *meanParameter,

,  , 86: ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,im++,

,  , 87: ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,meanParameter++,

,  , 88: ,  , ,  , ,  ,}

,  , 89: , ,

0x080021AE D2F9 ,  , ,  ,BCS ,  , ,  , ,  , , ,0x080021A4

Posted on August 31, 2017 at 10:50

Lingjun Kong wrote:

I'm using the build-in SRAM

Yes but _which_ SRAM for program?

Is it the ITCM RAM (only 16K big) from 0x00000000 to 0x00003fff? In this case instruction-fetches will not obstruct data-fetches/data-stores

Or the DTCM RAM (128k big) from 0x20000000 to 0x2001ffff? In this case instruction-fetches will initially obstruct data-fetches/data-stores. I think subsequent accesses get cached.

Or SRAM1 / SRAM2 that get accessed over the AXI bus. The documentation is clearer here - 

In this case instruction-fetches

will

initially obstruct data-fetches/data-stores and

subsequent accesses get cached.

Lingjun Kong wrote:

and all the data has also saved in the SRAM (import before this function)

Here you could mean DTCM or SRAM1/SRAM2. SRAM1/SRAM2 have a 16k cache shared for instructions and data to get to the bus matrix, but if there's not much DMA going on and AHB is running at the same speed as the processor there shouldn't be a lot of difference.

Lingjun Kong wrote:

the only thing can affect the time for every loop is the BCS insturciotn

Your STM instruction writes to memory. There is only a short buffer for such writes. If you're writing faster than the buffer can be emptied, then the buffer will fill up and then subsequent writes will be slower.

Don't assume that the buffer will be empty when the subroutine starts:

At

subroutine

entry as well as possibly needing to fill the instruction cache, the processor might also have to write-to-stack any registers that are used within the subroutine. And there could be some writes-to-memory in the write buffer that remained from your calling program - unless you did a DSB() before calling your function. These pending writes could slow the execution of the first few loops of your code.

These mechanisms are (when viewed from a distance) complicated. If you average out enough times then you can fit a polynomial to your measurements. But I don't think there's much you can learn from this.

Regards,

Danish